This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let me just throw this question out there. Isn't it true that Satan

#71OrangeWizardPosted 4/26/2013 6:15:59 PM
Ex ****ing actly

Assuming that God created the laws of physics, are they not objective because he created them arbitrarily?

If yes, then objectivity and subjectivity cease to be relevant.

If no, then morality has the same objective status as physics.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#72DarkContractorPosted 4/26/2013 7:31:36 PM
morality isn't tangible nor defining; it's an opinion on how something ought to be done
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#73OrangeWizardPosted 4/26/2013 7:36:01 PM
morality isn't tangible nor defining; it's an opinion on how something ought to be done

That's nice.

But that has nothing to do with what is or is not objective
---
#74DarkContractorPosted 4/26/2013 7:52:15 PM

That's nice.

But that has nothing to do with what is or is not objective

duh. hence morality requiring an arbitrary bottom up.
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#75OrangeWizardPosted 4/26/2013 8:59:06 PM
hence morality requiring an arbitrary bottom up.

So what's your answer to my question?

Assuming that God created the laws of physics, are they not objective because he created them arbitrarily?

Is morality just as objective as physics, or are physics as subjective as morality?
---
#76DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 6:16:30 AM
hence morality requiring an arbitrary bottom up.

So what's your answer to my question?

Is morality just as objective as physics, or are physics as subjective as morality?

God does not "create' morality though. You need to show casual relationships concerning morality in order to make the analogy to physics. Physics is about what will happen if x occurs. Morality is about what we ought to do with the universe, regardless if it's created or not. You're trying to trap me with a false dichotomy when you're comparing apples and oranges and I'll have none of that armchair apologist nonsense.
---
#77OrangeWizardPosted 4/27/2013 6:36:49 AM
God does not "create' morality though.

He doesn't? Can you prove that? Does he also not 'create' physics?
---
#78DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 9:44:41 AM(edited)
You want me to prove a supernatural process for an opinion, now. Stay classy, OW.

The very fact I can question God's morality pretty much destroys your argument, tbqh.
---
#79C_MatPosted 4/27/2013 11:17:15 AM
DarkContractor posted...
Ex ****ing actly

Then you're arguing against something that I'm not. I'm not putting morality on an arbitrary bottom up, I'm saying it comes from God.

Why is "God said so" not an arbitary bottom up?

God creates a tree. God creates a moral law. Why is a tree objectively a tree, but the moral law is subjective?

You're just rationalizing now.

Did you not want me to rationalize suffering?

I'd be okay with the Hell part of it.

Then you don't actually have a problem with divine justice, you just disagree with the severity of the punishment.

I don't think you know what might makes right is, because you are definitely arguing it. Also, if the Jenga tower is alive and can feel pain and emotion, yes, without hesitation, I want nothing to do with the person who knocks it down. Quit pretending that "Creators rights" isn't an arbitrary bottom up, because it is, and that's where your morality is built up from.

A Jenga tower is not alive. So answer my question.

And my argument is not might makes right, because I don't even agree with might makes rights.

I see the contrast, I assure you. And the contrast makes me rather follow Stalin/Hitler than I would Yahweh. This is just an ad hominem and you haven't even demonstrated one bit why i should trust God or why his morality can be objective; you just keep spewing it out like a broken record player.

Unless your next post can prove that divinity leads to objective morality, you've lost this debate.

I already did. If God creates a tree, the tree is objectively a tree. If God creates a moral law, it is the moral law, objectively.

And you still have not supplied a contrast between God and Hitler, nor did you answer my question about the Jenga tower, which shows why you don't understand this concept of Creator's rights.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#80OrangeWizardPosted 4/27/2013 11:22:49 AM
God creates a tree. God creates a moral law. Why is a tree objectively a tree, but the moral law is subjective?

I already asked him something along the lines of that.

He had no answer.

You want me to prove a supernatural process for an opinion, now. Stay classy, OW.

I want you to prove your own claim. Can't prove it? Don't make the claim.

The very fact I can question God's morality pretty much destroys your argument, tbqh.

I can question physics. What's quantum mechanics all about? See? I just "destroyed" physics, tbqh.
---