This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you comfortable/accepted expressing your religion or lack thereof?

#1HabefietPosted 4/4/2013 12:35:51 PM
Are you safe, comfortable, and generally accepted by those around you for open expression of your religion / agnosticism / atheism? - Results (68 votes)
Yes, I am totally accepted when expressing my beliefs.
22.06% (15 votes)
I am generally accepted except around a few specific individuals / in a few specific contexts.
30.88% (21 votes)
In some contexts it is okay, in others I try to avoid it when possible.
38.24% (26 votes)
I need to avoid or subvert conversation about it out or I will garner disdain from others.
8.82% (6 votes)
Not at all--I have to actively hide my beliefs from most people around me to function in society.
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
If there already exists a topic on this or one just recently wrapped up, let me know, I want to scope it out.

Basically what I'm wondering is how everyone feels about the acceptance of their beliefs by the general population that they encounter on a daily basis.

IMPORTANT: If you get a lot of hate for your beliefs but don't care because **** the haters, I'd prefer that you answer option four or five rather than options one or two. This isn't just about whether you care but also about whether you are factually accepted for your beliefs or if you actively garner disdain. Similarly, if you just aren't comfortable talking about your beliefs regardless of context but you are generally well-accepted, I'd prefer you answer options one or two rather than four or five.

I am answering #3. I am a Lutheran that is going through a period of transition towards agnosticism/atheism. Doubts that had been building for years finally hit a breaking point. I do not yet feel comfortable expressing this to everyone in my life and have avoided doing so with some friends and family members and members of my rural hometown community. Some people are perfectly okay with this including some of my heavily religious peers, but some Christians from back home would be unsettled or "disappointed" so to speak with this transition.
#2JonWood007Posted 4/4/2013 12:38:52 PM
I voted some contexts. I generally try to avoid talking about it, although it's situational really.
---
Desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K6Pj
Laptop: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/LX.WY202.001
#3AynRandySavagePosted 4/4/2013 1:15:45 PM
In the rare cases when it makes sense to bring it up, I have no problem with it.
#4WhereDidItGoPosted 4/4/2013 1:37:52 PM
#3 for me as well. In my particular case, it is because my wife and I are both converts to Catholicism and our families are Protestant. My father in particular has more fundamentalist leanings, so he can get quite anti-Catholic at times whenever matters of religion come up.
---
"The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason." - G.K. Chesterton
#5Moorish_IdolPosted 4/4/2013 1:43:59 PM
I voted the third option. My family and extended relatives are all deeply religious Christians. My parents have grown to accept my beliefs, but I have yet to tell my other relatives and I don't really see a need to. It'd just cause drama, and I don't think there is a significant benefit to them knowing.

I am open with others if they ask. Most of my friends are interested in religion like I am, so we discuss our beliefs often.
#6Hustle KongPosted 4/4/2013 1:44:21 PM
#1 because I am a mouth wizard.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#7SilviiroPosted 4/4/2013 3:23:56 PM
I voted #4 because there are few people I can freely speak about my religious beliefs with. Really more like no people. Outside of the Internet of course.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#8kozlo100Posted 4/4/2013 4:25:19 PM
Option one for me. My atheism doesn't seem to ruffle anyone's feathers in a serious way. Not being a jerk about it probably helps.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#9FlashOfLightPosted 4/4/2013 4:39:24 PM
One of the first things I was instructed on via Jesus Christ's words in the Bible, was that you will be hated by all men for the Son of Man's sake, and starting with one own's family, once one believes in him - and according to his word, so it has been anywhere I do mention my faith, even by those who say we worship the same God.

That in itself is one of the things I try to tell atheists and agnostics whenever the question comes up of how I know God is real and that the faith is real, because by no means or intent of your own, you live Christ's words in the flesh by the experience you have that confirm his word immediately, that's something you can't fake.
---
"Listen, children, to a story that was written long ago, 'bout a kingdom on a mountain and the valley-folk below."
#10Hustle KongPosted 4/4/2013 4:43:37 PM
Is rolling my eyes at your post equal to hatred? Good lord.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.