This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you comfortable/accepted expressing your religion or lack thereof?

#21PhoroPosted 4/7/2013 8:06:17 AM
#2 for me. I'm completely comfortable expressing my atheism around everyone but my (divorced) parents. My mother refuses to accept it, opting to hold firm that I'm just going through "a phase" (at age 29, mind you) and/or that I just don't know what I'm talking about.

My father accepts that I'm atheist, but he's one of those "Atheism is a belief/religion too" types, and he just loves to hand me *wonderful* books with titles like EVOLUTION: THE LIE and Scientific Facts of the Bible, or something like that. I dunno. I just throw them away.

---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#22DarkContractorPosted 4/14/2013 5:41:19 PM
I told the girl that "God used" to convert me to Christianity that I was an atheist again today

she started crying

I FEEL SO HORRIBLE :CCCCCC
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#23Moorish_IdolPosted 4/14/2013 5:49:34 PM
DarkContractor posted...
I told the girl that "God used" to convert me to Christianity that I was an atheist again today

she started crying

Nice going, bully.
#24DarkContractorPosted 4/14/2013 5:51:53 PM
DarkContractor posted...

she started crying

Nice going, bully.

she regularly asks me how my spiritual life is going and ive been lying to her for the past 2 months. i felt so bad so i came clean. shes one of my best friends.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#25Moorish_IdolPosted 4/14/2013 5:58:11 PM
I was just teasing, but in all seriousness -- that sucks. If you haven't already, you should at least let her know that it wasn't her fault, because I'm sure she's feeling like she failed at being your companion in faith.
#26DarkContractorPosted 4/14/2013 6:01:07 PM
i dont think i explicitly said something like that, so good point. and i know you were teasing :P just took the chance to further explain.

she tried to convert me back with the 'beauty of nature' and im thinking "god dammit jenna i dont wanna do this do to you" i wouldnt let her see the darkcontractor you guys are accustomed to, haha.
---
#27Moorish_IdolPosted 4/14/2013 6:05:43 PM
I'm glad you remembered to come back to this topic to post about this. It's a good example of how a lot of us aren't comfortable or willing to talk about religious stuff with family/friends because it always ends up becoming an emotional or personal issue. I just hope it doesn't make things awkward going forward.
#28DarkContractorPosted 4/14/2013 6:09:59 PM
I'm glad you remembered to come back to this topic to post about this. It's a good example of how a lot of us aren't comfortable or willing to talk about religious stuff with family/friends because it always ends up becoming an emotional or personal issue. I just hope it doesn't make things awkward going forward.

im glad my experience can help others.

And we're both mature enough to not let it ruin our friendship or anything, but you and I both know it's gonna be a big ol' white elephant in the room, regardless of what we do haha

shes like super born again too. i could tell she kinda had an initial reaction of no true scotsmen but she knew me well before and after my conversion, and knew she couldnt justify it.
---