The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any other atheists dislike r/atheism on Reddit?

#1Fez_WatleyPosted 4/16/2013 12:23:17 PM
They are just as annoying as the people they are mocking, and this is probably true of Reddit as a whole, but it's just a large circle jerk. I actually kind of liked it when i first started looking at it, but gradually over time it just got on my nerves.
#2FlashOfLightPosted 4/16/2013 12:24:38 PM
Do you have any specific link to their material, to see what their take is on things?
---
Montreal was an inside job.
#3Fez_Watley(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 12:29:24 PM
It took like half a year to build up the dislike in me, but i'll link it itself to you. Just see for yourself, it's just a massive circle jerk. You will see someone correcting someone that is incorrect once in a while, but that's not always the case.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/
#4kozlo100Posted 4/16/2013 12:35:17 PM
I don't think reddit's format in general particularly lends itself to good intellectual discourse on any subject, but what I have seen of r/atheism has been pretty shallow, trite, uninformed, and cliched.

Could be that there's a deeper level, and I'm sure there's some good folks over there, but given the face they present, I'm unlikely to find them.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#5TrollSlayer11Posted 4/16/2013 12:51:43 PM
I got tired of it after about 3 months of being an atheist and avoid the place like the plague these days. I only venture into r/trueatheism.

---
When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.
#6Moorish_IdolPosted 4/16/2013 12:53:58 PM
I've never purposely gone to Reddit in my life. The few instances where I unknowingly followed a link there has been enough for me.
#7FlashOfLightPosted 4/16/2013 1:06:45 PM
Well, this is kind of a potential interesting discussion, since I did see a lot of people in social media yesterday offer up a lot of prayers due to what took place in Boston -

"So what exactly does praying for Boston Accomplish?

Are the prayers supposed to grant those who suffered a free pass to heaven? Perhaps they are supposed to get some riches here on earth? God's going to make them feel better by making people go against free will and act more kindly to them? What exactly?

It demonstrates that "I care just enough about you that I want your situation to improve, but not quite enough that I'm willing to lift a finger or spend a penny to effect any actual change."

I honestly don't know if the majority of people who do offer up prayers are theists or not, I have a suspicion that some of them are not but have no problem saying it, but I personally do ask if they literally follow up with that and actually "pray" or if it's just a one time tweet they put out there, and then prayer-wise do nothing else about it.

And in a way, it seems like it gets to the point that people just say it to say it, without really having any other meaning behind it, such as what specifically are they praying about in regards to Boston? That the families are safe? That the victims recover faster? That if someone is injured that they do not get worse? It should have some direction or focus, I suppose, but I can't say if people actually rehearse that in their heads before they actually pray.

I would kind of like to know the specifics, aside from it being personal, but without mining into the privacy of someone's head too much, I would like to know, for example, if they focus on a specific individual, name any names, or just express to God their concern or sympathy for what took place.
---
Montreal was an inside job.
#8JonWood007Posted 4/16/2013 1:12:08 PM(edited)
I like it sometimes. Sometimes its posts are distasteful though. r/trueatheism is a bit better.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#9Moorish_IdolPosted 4/16/2013 1:19:51 PM
JonWood007 posted...
I like it sometimes. Sometimes its posts are distasteful though. r/trueatheism is a bit better.

Wait, a community called "trueatheism" actually exists? And people don't "no true Scotsman" them?
#10kozlo100Posted 4/16/2013 1:39:39 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
Wait, a community called "trueatheism" actually exists? And people don't "no true Scotsman" them?

That's the way subreddits work, it's just a name, not an epistimological claim.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.