This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A sermon, for you all

#1LosingStreak06Posted 4/16/2013 3:45:59 PM
Hello, all.

I mentioned in my other topic that I had recently come into possession of some old recordings of my grandfather delivering sermons, which in actuality is part of the impetus for my recent return to these parts.

I have touched up one of these sermons, and I find it to be quite listenable. It hold great personal value to me, simply because of the respect I have for my grandfather, who was a great influence on me as a child, but with whom I was not able to grow closer with in my adolescence, as he was afflicted with degenerative brain disease, and suffered from severe dementia for many years before he finally passed in 2007.

I present you this sermon in hopes that you may find some meaning in it, as I have. For Christians, may it be a meditative and spiritually guiding lesson. For those of other belief, may it be an educational and informative window into the theology and mindset of certain sects of Protestant Christianity.

Let it be noted that the sermon is NOT apologetic in nature, so it would be improper to digest it from an apologetic context.

Here is the first sermon that I have taken the time to touch up a bit (there are still noticeable hisses, hums, and clicks, but I've done my best to reduce them considerably without affecting the overall tone and quality of the piece), entitled "Sacrament of Unity":

https://soundcloud.com/losingstreak06/sermon-sacrament-of-unity
---
Show me your might! Give me your best shot!
You call this a fight? I said your best shot!
#2C_MatPosted 4/16/2013 4:11:43 PM
Sure, I'll give it a listen tomorrow. Tag for later...
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#3SuibomPosted 4/16/2013 4:34:24 PM
Wow, thanks man.

What an honor to share in this with you. I didn't get to say goodbye to my grandpa. He was my hero growing up.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#4LosingStreak06(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 5:57:08 PM
Suibom posted...
Wow, thanks man.

What an honor to share in this with you. I didn't get to say goodbye to my grandpa. He was my hero growing up.

I, unfortunately, did not have a chance to say goodbye to mine, either. I cannot quite put into words how grateful I was to receive these sermons, and get to hear him once again speak with the power and intelligence that I knew him to have, before his brain and body betrayed themselves.

I am glad to share his memory and his words with anyone who would be interested - he was, I think, quite gifted in speech and in the art of preaching.
---
#5FlashOfLightPosted 4/17/2013 7:21:36 AM
Right away at the beginning, he says something that has recently been the subject of much questioning in another topic on here recently, concerning Holy Communion, when he says

"The mystery about Communion, that is not... well, we don't have language to say, what really it is."

Then he continues saying "There is a mystery here."

And that is really accurate when trying to ultimately express it, not just to people having not the same faith, but even to other christians as well.
---
Montreal was an inside job.
#6FlashOfLightPosted 4/17/2013 7:31:40 AM
"Never refuse another who would walk with you in christian fellowship."

A great point that is so often lost among christians, who do not realize the importance that one can not reject another believer in Christ, and still claim to be within Christ.
---
Montreal was an inside job.
#7LosingStreak06(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 2:54:40 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
Right away at the beginning, he says something that has recently been the subject of much questioning in another topic on here recently, concerning Holy Communion, when he says

"The mystery about Communion, that is not... well, we don't have language to say, what really it is."

Then he continues saying "There is a mystery here."

And that is really accurate when trying to ultimately express it, not just to people having not the same faith, but even to other christians as well.

Indeed, it is quite on the nose. I think that such a sentiment applies to many religious ideas and observations, as well.
---
#8the_hedonistPosted 4/18/2013 7:29:59 AM
I look forward to listening to this. A few years ago, my grandfather was asked to contribute to a devotional book which led individuals through reading the Bible in a year. He contributed a few days out of the year. He asked me to study the Bible with him and to help him write. It was such an honor, and it was a huge blessing to open the Word of God with my grandfather. Without being too corny, there is something special about these family relationships.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#9LosingStreak06(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 5:13:22 PM
the_hedonist posted...
I look forward to listening to this. A few years ago, my grandfather was asked to contribute to a devotional book which led individuals through reading the Bible in a year. He contributed a few days out of the year. He asked me to study the Bible with him and to help him write. It was such an honor, and it was a huge blessing to open the Word of God with my grandfather. Without being too corny, there is something special about these family relationships.

I'm glad to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it. And you are correct, there is indeed something special about family relationships.
---
#10LosingStreak06(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 5:25:22 PM
I do believe that I shall share another one of these, at some point. I'll need to pick out one and clean it up, first.
---