This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone ever fasted from something other than food?

#31Moorish_IdolPosted 4/18/2013 12:04:11 PM
the_hedonist posted...
I have heard it said that it is "healthy" to masturbate. Honestly, I don't know what that means and I've looked into it and never heard anything past that statement. My questions are twofold: what does it mean that it is "healthy" to masturbate? And, is the reverse true - is it unhealthy to abstain from masturbating? This has never been explained to me. And in my attempt at research, I came to no positive conclusion. If proved otherwise, I would have to re-orient my position, but as of now, this is how I see it.

I'll take a shot at explaining how it is healthy.

First, remember that "health" isn't necessarily limited to just physical health. There is also emotional health, mental health, social health, etc.

1. It acts as a stress reliever and mood enhancer by releasing endorphins.
2. Helps to induce calmness, which is why some people do it before sleeping.
3. Boosts the immune system by promoting white blood cell production.
4. "Works" the muscles of the genitals so they don't become fatigued during actual sex.
5. Helps the person to realize what sort of things they like and don't like; so helps to increase the satisfaction between couples.
6. In men, it helps to increase how long they last; also beneficial for couples.
7. In men, there's reason to believe it helps prevent prostate cancer.
8. In women, in helps to relieve menstrual symptoms.

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head.
#32TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/18/2013 12:10:14 PM(edited)
the_hedonist posted...
I have heard it said that it is "healthy" to masturbate. Honestly, I don't know what that means and I've looked into it and never heard anything past that statement. My questions are twofold: what does it mean that it is "healthy" to masturbate? And, is the reverse true - is it unhealthy to abstain from masturbating? This has never been explained to me. And in my attempt at research, I came to no positive conclusion. If proved otherwise, I would have to re-orient my position, but as of now, this is how I see it.

Abstaining raises your risk of prostate cancer, among other things.

TRJ, this is a matter between you and God. I do not condemn you for it. This is a gray issue in Scripture, and you can ask God to search your heart and see if there be any grievous way in it. But I would hope that you would be careful in telling other people that masturbation is not a sin. Knowing our culture, masturbation is most often accompanied by lustful intent, and that is sinful. To say that masturbation is okay without any qualifications could be misleading. I hope you consider that when you communicate your opinion in the future.

Ive come to view the sin that comes from masturbating to be similar to the sin that comes from gluttony - a reasonable amount, as is healthy, is very much morally permissible, but if youre doing it excessively (again, like gluttony in food, beyond what is healthy to feed a lustful desire), there becomes a problem.

I see where youre coming from with the rest of it, but I think taking the health-oriented view (because there comes a point where masturbating excessively is bad for you - I read an article where a kid did it like 83 times in one day and died) like what I gave solves a lot of those problems, provided you know that line and stick to it.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#33IndoriPosted 4/18/2013 12:38:30 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Ive come to view the sin that comes from masturbating to be similar to the sin that comes from gluttony - a reasonable amount, as is healthy, is very much morally permissible, but if youre doing it excessively (again, like gluttony in food, beyond what is healthy to feed a lustful desire), there becomes a problem.

Except that masturbation isn't analogous to eating food. It's analogous to eating rocks. Sure, you won't be hungry, but you won't get any nourishment from it either.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#34TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/18/2013 12:40:12 PM
Indori posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

Except that masturbation isn't analogous to eating food. It's analogous to eating rocks. Sure, you won't be hungry, but you won't get any nourishment from it either.

This is scientifically false. It is unhealthy to abstain from masturbation. Your body was built to ejaculate periodically.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
#35IndoriPosted 4/18/2013 1:33:45 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Indori posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

This is scientifically false. It is unhealthy to abstain from masturbation. Your body was built to ejaculate periodically.

"It is unhealthy to abstain from masturbation" does not follow from "Your body was built to ejaculate periodically." What actually follows is "It is unhealthy to abstain from ejaculating for long periods." As in, a married man like the TC can maintain his health by having sex with his wife.

Also, I was referring to one's spiritual health with the "eating rocks" comment.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#36SilviiroPosted 4/18/2013 3:20:56 PM(edited)
Lust is healthy, natural, and good when it is for the proper things. Lust to be an Elder, lust to do good, lust to learn the words of Jesus, lust to partake of communion, and even lust for your wife or whoever you intend to be your wife. Lust for food when you are hungry, lust for water when you are thirsty, and above all lust for God.

Do not lust for your neighbor's house, nor his wife, nor his butler, nor his maid, nor his computer, nor his car, or anything that is your neighbor's.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#37TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/18/2013 5:14:31 PM
Indori posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Indori posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

"It is unhealthy to abstain from masturbation" does not follow from "Your body was built to ejaculate periodically." What actually follows is "It is unhealthy to abstain from ejaculating for long periods." As in, a married man like the TC can maintain his health by having sex with his wife.

Also, I was referring to one's spiritual health with the "eating rocks" comment.

What of the boy who has just hit puberty? Should he neglect his health, or marry immediately?
---
#38OrangeWizardPosted 4/18/2013 6:07:17 PM
or marry immediately?

That's how it used to be, in biblical times.

"Son, you are now a man. Here's your wife and your plot of land."
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#39TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/18/2013 6:08:30 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
or marry immediately?

Yeah, must have been nice :\
---
#40Moorish_IdolPosted 4/18/2013 6:10:22 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
or marry immediately?

Yeah, must have been nice :\

For males.