This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone ever fasted from something other than food?

#51Moorish_IdolPosted 4/18/2013 8:09:45 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
What of the boy who has just hit puberty? Should he neglect his health, or marry immediately?

So, just to respond back to this. More recent studies have suggested that sexual activity improves prostate health later in life. Not that a total lack of sexual activity leads to immediate death.

The term "neglect his health" seems a bit too strong to be used in this context.

I agree with this.

While it may be beneficial to the male prostate to masturbate, not masturbating isn't going to damn them to prostate cancer. He may just have a slightly higher risk of getting it compared to a guy who regularly makes like Han Solo and pets the Wookie.
#52the_hedonistPosted 4/19/2013 5:06:22 AM
Moorish_Idol

It acts as a stress reliever and mood enhancer by releasing endorphins.

And there are literally hundreds of other methods of stress relief. For some psychos, stress relief is done by stalking people or by beating puppies. Does the fact this is "healthy" in some way validate it? No.

2. Helps to induce calmness, which is why some people do it before sleeping.

Same as above.

3. Boosts the immune system by promoting white blood cell production.

Link? I googled this and looked at the first few quotes claiming this, but none cited an actual study.

4. "Works" the muscles of the genitals so they don't become fatigued during actual sex.

First, this really shouldn't matter for an unmarried Christian, who shouldn't be having sex in the first place. Second, for a married man, frequent sex should be enough to work it out so as not get fatigued. And if sex is infrequent, the temporary discomfort from fatigue is no big deal.

5. Helps the person to realize what sort of things they like and don't like; so helps to increase the satisfaction between couples.

What relation does this have to 'health'? Also, shouldn't couples be able to find out what they like together, without having to explore the beauty of sex, intended as union (not isolation), alone?

6. In men, it helps to increase how long they last; also beneficial for couples.

Again...link? Also, there are plenty of other proven methods to increasing longevity.

7. In men, there's reason to believe it helps prevent prostate cancer.

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20090127/masturbation-and-prostate-cancer-risk

"Frequent masturbation in young men is linked to higher risk of early prostate cancer, but it lowers prostate cancer risk for men in their 50s, a study shows.

These are just theories, Dimitropoulou warns. More research is needed to determine the exact role of sex hormones and sexual activity in prostate-cancer risk at different stages of life."

There have been some studies that showed it lowered risk in younger guys and some that showed in raised risk in younger guys and some that showed it had no effect at all. In other words, either the results are not actually statistically significant or more studies need to be done to truly understand the relationship.

8. In women, in helps to relieve menstrual symptoms.

Again, there are many other proven ways to help relieve menstrual symptoms.

And the second part of my question is not answered...in what way is it unhealthy to avoid masturbation?

Note: by the "psychos" above, I am not implying masturbators are psychotic, nor that it is a terrible thing for anyone to do. I am just arguing that avoiding masturbation is not unhealthy. Also, there are multiple things not necessarily linked to health here, but to feeling comfortable or happy. While mental and emotional health is important, there are so many ways other than masturbation to achieve mental and emotional health - and Christianity offers itself as a cure to that. Christians should not run to possibly sinful activities for "mental health."
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#53gamesrgreatPosted 4/19/2013 10:02:52 AM
I quit smoking Mary Jane for almost a whole summer vacation . That was just for me tho
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#54Moorish_IdolPosted 4/19/2013 2:13:29 PM
@the_hedonist

I found an article by Planned Parenthood which provides sources for most of my claims.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2html.php?url=http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/masturbation_11-02.pdf&images=yes

Also I specifically prefaced by earlier post by saying "health" is not only physical. It's very much American thinking to equate health only to physical health. The vast majority of the rest of the world also includes mental, emotional, sexual, social, etc., under the category of "Health".

Also I didn't say that masturbation is the only means to achieve health. So... if you want to use other means, go right ahead. You asked for the benefits and I gave some.
#55NoTitleRequiredPosted 4/19/2013 11:47:37 PM
Mighty-Oregon posted...
I'm giving up sexual desire.

You cant just give up sexual desire >___>

no but you can work at it to get it under control so that it doesn't control you
#56NoTitleRequiredPosted 4/19/2013 11:49:20 PM
"My best advice is walks. Back when I tried something similar before I realized there was nothing wrong with masturbation was just going on a walk whenever I felt any kind of arousal. Walks are nice, and they get you doing things and out of the room."

How is masturbation not a sin? Isn't it considered lust?

yes it is a sin because it is a selfish and inwardly-focused method of sexual gratification
#57the_hedonistPosted 4/20/2013 2:58:31 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
@the_hedonist

I found an article by Planned Parenthood which provides sources for most of my claims.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2html.php?url=http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/masturbation_11-02.pdf&images=yes

Also I specifically prefaced by earlier post by saying "health" is not only physical. It's very much American thinking to equate health only to physical health. The vast majority of the rest of the world also includes mental, emotional, sexual, social, etc., under the category of "Health".

Also I didn't say that masturbation is the only means to achieve health. So... if you want to use other means, go right ahead. You asked for the benefits and I gave some.

I totally agree that health is more than physical. I'll address your link later - right now I'm on my iPod. It probably doesn't matter unless It somehow proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that abstaining from masturbation increases one's chance of having prostrate cancer. Remember, my question was two-part: in what way is it healthy and is it unhealthy to abstain?

See, for a Christian, we also take into account something you might call spiritual health. And masturbation can be detrimental to a Christian's spiritual health. In which case, it is 'unhealthy' to do.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#58Faust_8Posted 4/20/2013 4:57:41 PM
Not trying to be rude but...

...you're trying to stay in the religion that is the precise reason why you think sexual thoughts are immoral to begin with. So, really, you're just tormenting yourself.

It would be like trying to get over an ex that broke your heart while making the conscious decision to live with her instead of moving out. It's like trying to not eat cookies while at the same time, always buying cookies.

Only in religion are "thought crimes" even a thing. Frankly I don't see how thoughts could ever be immoral. Heck, I've thought extremely terrible things for no reason at all--it's one of those moments where something happens and you instantly think "I wonder what would happen if I just..." and a second later you're like "DUDE, BRAIN, WHY DID YOU JUST THINK THAT, NOT COOL BRO."

Thoughts don't cause harm. Actions do. Think whatever the hell you want, just don't ACT immorally. This is the freedom you have when you're not taught by a religion to constantly be ashamed for having human thoughts.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#59IndoriPosted 4/21/2013 7:11:20 AM
It isn't a "thought crime," but obsessively mulling over my ex, thinking about her constantly, isn't good for me either.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#60CuddleWithClawsPosted 4/22/2013 7:14:21 PM
Almost fasted from coffee.

The cumulative withdrawal nearly killed me.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.