This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone ever fasted from something other than food?

#61Julian_CaesarPosted 4/23/2013 12:41:28 AM(edited)
There is the good fruit found in not getting prostate cancer, which masturbation reduces.

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20090127/masturbation-and-prostate-cancer-risk

Just wanted to set the record straight.

EDIT: Damn, got beat to the punch.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#62the_hedonistPosted 4/25/2013 8:24:03 AM
Bump...

Does TRJ have a response? It seems that there is not a sufficient basis for the proposition that abstaining from masturbation is unhealthy. In light of that, I don't think Christians should encourage masturbation, as it is an obvious temptation to lust, breaking the commandment of Jesus.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#63TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/25/2013 9:15:58 AM
Weird, I thought I saw a study that said otherwise, but it looks like I am likely wrong on the prostate cancer thing.

Its a busy week for me, but when I have more time I will look at their methodology to confirm my wrongness.

I dont have much else to add, because I will obviously need to rethink my argument, but I will point out, Hedonist, that I dont necessarily thing we should encourage masturbation - the focal point of my argument was merely that the act of masturbation - not in excess or whatever other scenario, but merely a single act itself - is not innately a sin, and I think the one Biblical passage that addresses masturbation supports that interpretation.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#64Moorish_IdolPosted 4/25/2013 11:27:39 AM
http://health.doctissimo.com/mens-health/about-prostate-disorders/could-masturbation-help-to-prevent-prostate-cancer.html

This article discusses a study that showed masturbation/ejaculation decreasing prostrate cancer risk even in young men;
Men who ejaculated more than five times a week during their twenties were one third less likely to develop prostate cancer later in life.

So there is conflicting data.
#65ThuggernautzPosted 4/25/2013 12:24:52 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
Almost fasted from coffee.

The cumulative withdrawal nearly killed me.

You just reminded me that I haven't had a coffee today. BRB.
#66DarkContractorPosted 4/25/2013 1:24:44 PM
Caffeine fast was one of the most painful things I've undergone before. I do it every now and then, to keep myself from being completely dependent of the drug. but dem headaches
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#67Moorish_IdolPosted 4/25/2013 2:38:51 PM
I stopped drinking caffeinated beverages 10+ years ago. The few instances where I have had one since have been unpleasant for me (shaking, fast heart rate). I don't think I'd ever be able to start taking in caffeine regularly again.
#68ThuggernautzPosted 4/25/2013 2:55:00 PM
Yeah I really should go on a caffeine detox. I have been drinking coffee pretty much every day or every few days for many years. But it just tastes and smells so damn good....

Also, black coffee with no sugar (how I like it) may have potential health benefits:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/coffee/
#69the_hedonistPosted 4/25/2013 6:21:06 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
http://health.doctissimo.com/mens-health/about-prostate-disorders/could-masturbation-help-to-prevent-prostate-cancer.html

This article discusses a study that showed masturbation/ejaculation decreasing prostrate cancer risk even in young men;
Men who ejaculated more than five times a week during their twenties were one third less likely to develop prostate cancer later in life.

So there is conflicting data.

There is clearly conflicting data. Which probably just meajlns that we should wait until more studies are done and a meta-analysis can be conducted. We may be able to look into each study individually and determine if there is a methodological error, but to me it seems that more studies need to be done to truly understand the relationship.

TRJ, which biblical passage addresses masturbation? I haven't read one before. I do think it is up to the individual to apply biblical wisdom in this situation and allow God to search his or her heart, since there is no clear condemnation. That being said, I think that many Christians will rightly come to the conclusion that abstaining from masturbation is the road to purity for them. I think the number of people who have the self-control and concentration needed to masturbate and not lust is quite low. For these reasons, when discussing whether masturbation is sinful, I think it best to say more than: "the Bible doesn't say masturbation is a sin" lest we cause a brother to stumble.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#70Julian_CaesarPosted 4/26/2013 2:05:19 AM
That being said, I think that many Christians will rightly come to the conclusion that abstaining from masturbation is the road to purity for them. I think the number of people who have the self-control and concentration needed to masturbate and not lust is quite low. For these reasons, when discussing whether masturbation is sinful, I think it best to say more than: "the Bible doesn't say masturbation is a sin" lest we cause a brother to stumble.

Yeah, this. Ejaculation isn't a sin any more than burping; lust of the heart was explicitly called a "sin" by a Jesus.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.