This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone ever fasted from something other than food?

#71Moorish_IdolPosted 4/26/2013 7:16:01 AM
Does the Bible ever specifically define what it would mean to lust, or do we apply contemporary understanding to it?
#72the_hedonistPosted 4/26/2013 9:33:37 AM
In the Bible, lust can be equated with 'desire.' This includes desiring good things and bad things. It is very often associated with sinful desires (such as in the passage I quoted earlier in which Jesus equates lusting after a woman as adultery of the heart).
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#73Moorish_IdolPosted 4/26/2013 9:49:29 AM
How can you commit adultery if you are single?
#74IndoriPosted 4/26/2013 11:20:10 AM
Moorish_Idol posted...
How can you commit adultery if you are single?

That's the point of the passage hedonist is referring to. It's in Matthew 5. Jesus outlines the Beatitudes, then basically deconstructs Old Testament legalism, ending with, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." His point was that following the law to the letter isn't morality, but submitting to the spirit of the law and God leads to virtue.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#75Moorish_IdolPosted 4/26/2013 11:29:54 AM(edited)
I guess what I don't understand is how someone can "sin in their heart". Like, what does that mean, why implications does it have? Can someone murder or be a false witness in their heart?

1 Corinthians 11 says that women shouldn't cut their hair and/or should cover their head during worship, lest they have sinned. Can a woman not cut her hair in her heart?
#76IndoriPosted 4/26/2013 11:32:21 AM
Moorish_Idol posted...
I guess what I don't understand is how someone can "sin in their heart". Like, what does that mean, why implications does it have? Can someone murder or be a false witness in their heart?

A sin of the heart is a willful thought about something sinful, something that goes beyond a simple feeling or instinct. We're basically talking about lust in this topic. Christ states that even holding on to anger is like a sin of murder in the heart.
---
#77IndoriPosted 4/26/2013 11:37:21 AM
Moorish_Idol posted...
1 Corinthians 11 says that women shouldn't cut their hair and/or should cover their head during worship, lest they have sinned. Can a woman not cut her hair in her heart?

What do ancient Greek worship traditions have to do with this?
---
#78Moorish_IdolPosted 4/26/2013 11:57:15 AM
^ My question was if every sin can be committed in one's heart. Or if it's just a select few sins that can be. In which case, how does that mesh with the "every sin is equal" belief?
#79IndoriPosted 4/26/2013 12:15:13 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
^ My question was if every sin can be committed in one's heart. Or if it's just a select few sins that can be. In which case, how does that mesh with the "every sin is equal" belief?

Sin is always a result of something internal. I don't subscribe to that belief, so I don't know.
---