This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Take a shot at Kozlo

#51mercuryinkPosted 4/18/2013 1:28:07 AM
Since Avatar was released? They've been pushing it off and on since my dad's day. I remember going to Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D at an indie theater.
/aside
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#52OrangeWizardPosted 4/18/2013 1:53:33 AM
and then you dive with the same speed that humans would fall with.

Everything falls at the same speed.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#53black spiderPosted 4/18/2013 2:02:40 AM
Since Avatar was released? They've been pushing it off and on since my dad's day. I remember going to Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D at an indie theater.
/aside

Yeah, there's been 3D films for ages. Heck, i remember seeing a few comic books written in anaglyph and requiring some lame cardboard blue/red glasses to see properly. But I don't recall 3D actually being all that heavily pushed until Avatar came out and made it ridiculously trendy. It was a novelty feature, not the new black of movie rendering.

I could be getting my years wrong, of course, but I'm quite sure I recall a good deal of complaining from Danish cinemas about how annoying and costly it was to retool for 3D in the late 00's.
---
You want to try your hand at proving why genocide is inherently bad? - OrangeWizard
#54black spiderPosted 4/18/2013 2:27:11 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
and then you dive with the same speed that humans would fall with.

Everything falls at the same speed.

Doesn't seem that way to me. An open parachute doesn't fall with the same speed as a packed parachute, which is why we bother with them in the first place, isn't it? What you're seemingly missing is that while the gravitational force affects everything equally, the drag from wind resistance does not.

All of this is irrelevant, of course, because the plane in question is flying rather than falling. And it should be rather obvious that a plane can also fly faster downwards than the terminal velocity of a human being, which is about 200 km/h in a normal drop and presumably a bit more if said human tries to minimize drag.

Now, I'm not sure on the details of exactly how fast the plane would have to be flying downwards, since the air in which the people experiencing simulated zero gravity are floating has the same downwards acceleration as the plane, meaning they shouldn't be experiencing any drag, as the plane is doing that for them. But that means they might actually be accelerating past 200 km/h, doesn't it? I honestly don't know, I don't care enough to find out, so the most accurate statement I can make is in fact "as fast as humans would fall". Because that's how it's done, isn't it?

And FYI, I haven't had a physics class since back in primary school nearly 13 years ago. I'm sure you know more about it that I do, so feel free to correct me when I say something ridiculously wrong.
---
You want to try your hand at proving why genocide is inherently bad? - OrangeWizard
#55bratt100Posted 4/18/2013 3:01:11 AM
In a dead drop the plane should fall at the same rate as any other object in a vacuum
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#56almasbabyPosted 4/18/2013 6:01:18 AM
black spider posted...
Would a misperception continue once it's been pointed out that you are mistaken?

How about that whole 3D fluff they've been pushing since Avatar was released? Is that really 3D? Or is it only a clever use of technology that makes it look like it's more than 2D? But you still feel more depth from it, don't you?

That's a more compelling analogy that the illusion of free will would continue after it's been revealed it's just that. But kozlo says it wouldn't affect him to know free will is an illusion. He'd carry on as if nothing's changed. I challenged that.

As of now, we can contemplate if free will actually is an illusion. Once it's been determined that it is, that has to change the way you think about your thoughts and actions. You'd go from wondering if you're an automaton to finding out for sure that you are. That wouldn't have an effect? I find that hard to believe.
#57Far421Posted 4/18/2013 6:28:24 AM
Well, if that's what you mean by good, then you need to argue your other points differently. I don't think we as a society would agree that it is "good" to indoctrinate your children to hate ethnic groups.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#58ThuggernautzPosted 4/18/2013 7:15:55 AM
almasbaby posted...

That's a more compelling analogy that the illusion of free will would continue after it's been revealed it's just that. But kozlo says it wouldn't affect him to know free will is an illusion. He'd carry on as if nothing's changed. I challenged that.

As of now, we can contemplate if free will actually is an illusion. Once it's been determined that it is, that has to change the way you think about your thoughts and actions. You'd go from wondering if you're an automaton to finding out for sure that you are. That wouldn't have an effect? I find that hard to believe.

Well, let's see. How do you feel about this study? It's the infamous one where the brain appears to make a decision up to 7 seconds before the individual feels they have made a conscious choice.

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080411/full/news.2008.751.html
#59mrplainswalkerPosted 4/18/2013 7:20:54 AM
Actually, as an addendum to my last post...

After thinking on it, I can see the difference between this and irreducible complexity. The difference is that alternate paths to the eye have been suggested. A better comparison would be this.

Suppose you were living in the 1700's and somebody said "I just can't see any way for humans to exist other than by direct design." It's a completely fallacious argument even given that evolution was unheard of at the time. The same goes for any scientific discovery. "I just can't see how humans could ever fly. Therefore they won't." "I just can't think of a way for people to be getting sick and dying other than by malevolent demons."

They're all the same argument from ignorance and they were all proven wrong. And for all I know, there are people out there who could posit another way for a modern civilization to form. I honestly haven't looked at what the experts think because it's beyond the scope of the argument. It doesn't matter whether they can or not. I'm more interested in pointing out the logical fallacy involved.

It would be much more honest to simply say that we can't predict irreligioun's effect on society formation because we have no real way to examine it...and then give religion a wash in that category.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#60DoGCyNPosted 4/18/2013 7:27:06 AM
I personally just want to say that I appreciate your company Kozlo. You are one of the posters here that seems to maintain "debating" instead of "arguing and bickering" quite well...and also being polite. Now...

I haven't read the whole topic, but this: " Straight away, my basic position is that I do not believe any gods exist, nor do I believe that no gods exist." ...makes me want to ask if you have any specific god(s) or sect of religion that "strikes" you more than maybe...another sect? You believe religion and spirituality have done more good than harm, so... by chance, do any of these sects "grab you" more than others?

I'm just wondering what tips the balance of your beliefs into that of agnosticism, rather than atheism/theism.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10