This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valve refunds gamer uncomfortable with forced baptism in BioShock Infinite

#1CapoMafiaPosted 4/17/2013 2:52:48 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/16/4231064/valve-refunds-baptism-bioshock-infinite

Breen Malmberg, a self-described Christian and "devout believer," received a refund for BioShock Infinite after requesting one from Valve based on his objections to an unskippable scene in the game, according to an interview with Malmberg published in Kotaku.

Malmberg objected to an early game scene in which the protagonist must submit to a baptism to progress. He characterized the choice as "extreme blasphemy."

---
Not changing this sig until the Reptilian conspiracy is defeated. Started 5/14/07.
#2LosingStreak06Posted 4/17/2013 2:56:24 PM
This seems, to me, quite silly.
---
Show me your might! Give me your best shot!
You call this a fight? I said your best shot!
#3kozlo100Posted 4/17/2013 2:56:28 PM
Now, I haven't played Infinite yet, but I hear there's quite a lot of rather gory violence in it. There's something to be said in regards to rejecting a fictional baptism on religious grounds, but not the violence.

Good on Valve for the refund though. Smart customer service, smart PR, and just generally the right thing to do when you deliver a product that the customer didn't expect and no longer wants.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4ThuggernautzPosted 4/17/2013 3:20:32 PM
Yeah, this is as silly as all the people complaining about racism in the game. Look at the time period, folks. There's a reason that was included.
#5FlashOfLightPosted 4/17/2013 5:13:50 PM
I don't understand the gamer's mentality, is he thinking that if his character is getting baptized, so is he? Or what? Because in any case it would just be the character and not him.

So, I don't really get it. Maybe the scene is too graphic, or something?
---
Montreal was an inside job.
#6hunter_gohanPosted 4/17/2013 5:37:06 PM
He realizes the character isn't him right?
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#7SuibomPosted 4/17/2013 5:47:12 PM
What Kozlo said.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#8DarkContractorPosted 4/17/2013 5:49:12 PM
i wouldnt play the binding of issac when i was a christian

what a silly move that was.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#9mercuryinkPosted 4/17/2013 5:49:27 PM
Suibom posted...
What Kozlo said.

---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#10SilviiroPosted 4/17/2013 6:38:42 PM
Maybe the scene is too graphic, or something?

Rated M for Graphic Baptism
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14