This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valve refunds gamer uncomfortable with forced baptism in BioShock Infinite

#11kozlo100Posted 4/17/2013 6:43:12 PM
The cynic in me kind of thinks this guy was just trying to make waves, but forgot that Valve isn't EA.

I don't listen to my inner cynic very often though.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#12SirThinkALotPosted 4/17/2013 6:57:27 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
I don't understand the gamer's mentality, is he thinking that if his character is getting baptized, so is he? Or what? Because in any case it would just be the character and not him.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

LosingStreak06 posted...
This seems, to me, quite silly.

And this.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#13CuddleWithClawsPosted 4/17/2013 7:37:51 PM(edited)
Valve didn't get to be the powerhouse that it is by being pointlessly mule-headed. Was it a stupid request? This guy says yes. However, the customer is always right.

One does have to wonder why he chose that as the reason to return the game - what, wanton baptism is damnable, but racism and forced indenture are a-okay?
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#14bratt100Posted 4/18/2013 2:47:32 AM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
Valve didn't get to be the powerhouse that it is by being pointlessly mule-headed. Was it a stupid request? This guy says yes. However, the customer is always right.

One does have to wonder why he chose that as the reason to return the game - what, wanton baptism is damnable, but racism and forced indenture are a-okay?

The baptism is right at the start. You don't get to see anything else without first doing the baptism.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#15almasbabyPosted 4/18/2013 5:21:34 AM
That's one way to get a refund for a game you don't like. I never liked the airport scene in CoD either. They don't even give you the option of firing at the terrorists. You either have to join in or just tag along, or skip the part entirely. I wish they would have at least let me die trying to kill the terrorists.
#16Faust_8Posted 4/18/2013 8:18:33 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
Yeah, this is as silly as all the people complaining about racism in the game. Look at the time period, folks. There's a reason that was included.

It was included to show how ugly it is. I really don't understand why people harp about racism in entertainment when it's clearly there to CRITICIZE it.

You can't criticize racism without, you know, showing racism.

Hey guys, Remember the Titans has racism in it! Offensive!
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#17the_hedonistPosted 4/18/2013 9:38:43 AM
I have not played the game (none of the BioShock games, in fact), and while I would not personally object, I sympathize with the individual in question. I think sometimes people who misunderstand this fail to understand the fact that religious beliefs are often the number one determiner of identity for a religious person. To this individual, this could be the equivalent of forcing an LGBT activist to play-act a WBC protester in a video game. Obviously it is fictional, but video games can be quite interactive, and in playing a videogame, there can be a temporary suspension of disbelief in which the character you are playing is your vicarious counterpart.

Now, I may not go complain to Valve about it; I would probably just turn the game off and sell it on eBay or something. Even so, the American consumer mentality often expects a large amount of pandering from the companies it buys things from. And companies do not exactly do much to correct the mentality. It's a smart business move to give full compensation for the return, but I personally think our mentality is far too entitled.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#18the_hedonistPosted 4/18/2013 9:44:11 AM
You can read more background info at the following link. The full letter to Valve is included:

http://kotaku.com/some-dont-like-bioshocks-forced-baptism-enough-to-as-473178476

I wish to return/exchange this game (Bioshock Infinite) for steam credit or refund on the grounds that I cannot play it.

I cannot play it because at the very beginning of the game there is a section of the game that is so offensive to my religious beliefs that I cannot proceed with it any further. I did not know this section of the game was there and had no way of knowing it was there before-hand as it was not shown in any trailers, previews, screenshots or other marketing material.

The player is forced to make a choice which amounts to extreme blasphemy in my religion (Christianity) in order to proceed any further - and am therefor forced (in good conscience) to quit playing and not able to experience approx. 99% of the content in the game.

There is no option to turn this particular content off or to bypass or skip it in any way. In Modern Warfare 2, they at least allowed you to skip a particularly offensive level (http://www.destructoid.com/modern-warfare...). This is the same sort of thing for me, but there is no way to skip it in this case.

Please issue a full refund or store credit in the amount of the price of the game (Bioshock Infinite) as I had no idea that I would not be able to play this game before I bought it.

If you need further convincing, I will use the analogy that if you were a muslem, it would be like forcing the player into an in-game action of "press x to spit on the face of allah" in order to proceed any further with the game and with no choice or way around doing so.

I apologize for the potentially misleading choice of category for this request, but you do not have a category I can choose that accurately fits my needs.

Thank you

---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#19sthaterPosted 4/18/2013 10:19:05 AM
LosingStreak06 posted...
This seems, to me, quite silly.

It is quite silly imo. But I can tell you, as someone who has worked in customer service, that Valve absolutely made the smart move here. Even if it is silly it's still better to remove any good reason for the customer to whine. Don't ever make a figurative martyr out of anyone.
---
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
#20Faust_8Posted 4/18/2013 8:22:31 PM
the_hedonist posted...
You can read more background info at the following link. The full letter to Valve is included:

http://kotaku.com/some-dont-like-bioshocks-forced-baptism-enough-to-as-473178476

I wish to return/exchange this game (Bioshock Infinite) for steam credit or refund on the grounds that I cannot play it.

I cannot play it because at the very beginning of the game there is a section of the game that is so offensive to my religious beliefs that I cannot proceed with it any further. I did not know this section of the game was there and had no way of knowing it was there before-hand as it was not shown in any trailers, previews, screenshots or other marketing material.

The player is forced to make a choice which amounts to extreme blasphemy in my religion (Christianity) in order to proceed any further - and am therefor forced (in good conscience) to quit playing and not able to experience approx. 99% of the content in the game.

There is no option to turn this particular content off or to bypass or skip it in any way. In Modern Warfare 2, they at least allowed you to skip a particularly offensive level (http://www.destructoid.com/modern-warfare...). This is the same sort of thing for me, but there is no way to skip it in this case.

Please issue a full refund or store credit in the amount of the price of the game (Bioshock Infinite) as I had no idea that I would not be able to play this game before I bought it.

If you need further convincing, I will use the analogy that if you were a muslem, it would be like forcing the player into an in-game action of "press x to spit on the face of allah" in order to proceed any further with the game and with no choice or way around doing so.

I apologize for the potentially misleading choice of category for this request, but you do not have a category I can choose that accurately fits my needs.

Thank you

.....So how exactly is "getting a baptism" offensive to...baptisms?

I've thought this all along and just figured he explained it in some ass-way, but he doesn't even try. So I'm legitimately curious--even if one first sticks one's head in one's ass, how can be this be seen as offensive?
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while