This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Redditor explains clearly and concisely why YEC is wrong

#1FingerpuppetPosted 4/18/2013 7:11:58 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/DebateAnAtheist/comments/1clwdh/young_earth_creation_ama/c9hs2ul

I learned a lot from this post.
---
The problem starts when we are having a discussion just fine and you come along and derail the topic because you can't stand us all having the same definition.
#2Faust_8Posted 4/18/2013 7:18:40 PM
While that was a great and concise summary of some of the major failings of YEC...we know all this, and only crazy fringe Christians actually are yet to be convinced.

So while well-written and certainly worthy of copy-pasta to settle arguments, it's not exactly "new."
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 4/18/2013 8:06:01 PM
I've never met a YEC IRL, and have only met maybe a handful online. How common are they, really?
#4Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 8:26:10 PM
It's pretty bad here in the south. My older brother, my mom, and a fair amount (15-20%) of the people I went to high school with were creationists. I imagine it gets worse as you get older.
---
The problem starts when we are having a discussion just fine and you come along and derail the topic because you can't stand us all having the same definition.
#5lastheroPosted 4/18/2013 8:44:26 PM
I honestly think most creationists wouldn't be creationists if they actually took the time to think about it.

I remember when I grew up, my parents were very much against evolution - Dad threw away my copy of Pokemon, and no matter how much I tried to explain to him that the evolution in the game was pretty much name-only and I wasn't being indoctrinated, he wouldn't have it.

I just grew up thinking evolution was wrong, but I never actually took the time to think WHY. The day I finally did, it just...clicked. It makes sense.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#6JonWood007Posted 4/18/2013 8:47:55 PM(edited)
"God made the universe old, blah blah blah". Either that or Satan is tricking us somehow. You know, BS explanations like that. Either that or they just attack all the methods of science that come to those conclusions. You know, well, you can't know that's reliable. And here's my favorite. "Were you there? Because I do know someone who was there. He wrote this book called the Bible. Isn't it awesome we got the creator of the universe who tells us how all this stuff works?"

I actually was a YEC at one point. They got mental acrobatics for everything. This is why I've built up such an immunity to theological bullcrap explanations and am not afraid to call people out on their acrobatics.

Also, I don't think they're too common, but a sizeable minority here in the US rejects evolution/old earth theories (I think like 20-30% or something).
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7mercuryinkPosted 4/19/2013 9:00:01 AM
I know very, very few.

They're also the same people that think Obama wants to personally take away their guns.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#8GuideToTheDarkPosted 4/19/2013 10:28:21 AM
I met one. Then I slept with her. Now we're good friends. Huh.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#9DarkContractorPosted 4/19/2013 1:27:07 PM
I cant believe I actually used to be a YEC. Looking back it just seems so ****ing dumb.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat
#10DarkContractorPosted 4/19/2013 1:27:33 PM
I met one. Then I slept with her. Now we're good friends. Huh.

i was hoping this was gonna end, "then she wasn't a YEC anymore" lol
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. PSN: MrPillow92 Steam: MrPillowtheGreat