This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The difference between religious fundamentalism and antitheism:

#1IamvegitoPosted 4/21/2013 11:02:50 AM
Nothing. Don't hate people who are different than you. We learned that in preschool, guys.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#2OzymandiasIVPosted 4/21/2013 11:07:48 AM
Neither of those things equate to hate, and certainly not (necessarily) hate toward other people. A lot of fundamentalists and antitheists, however misguided they may be, are concerned for the well-being of others.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#3Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:10:29 AM
"How dare you think something different than I do? You're WRONG! I don't care what experiences you've had that are vastly different to mine, you're wrong!!!"

This universalist crap from the modern era needs to die off. We're light-years past that in postmodernity, come into the light.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 4/21/2013 11:11:21 AM
Is this in response to any particular person's opinions? I don't think I've seen much hateful antitheism or fundamentalism here.
#5Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:16:41 AM
Is this in response to any particular person's opinions? I don't think I've seen much hateful antitheism or fundamentalism here.

No one in particular on here, no. But both are common cultural streams, and both are reactionary self-projection.
---
#6JonWood007Posted 4/21/2013 11:27:18 AM
I find anti theism often comes as a response to fundamentalism. Just an observation I make looking at some of the more anti theist atheists on r/atheism.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 4:53:04 PM
They also approach the Bible in the same way: Literally, to the extent that that supports their interests. Joke groups of people, honestly.
---
#8C_MatPosted 4/24/2013 8:23:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with fundamentalism, it just depends what the fundamental is. Have you ever seen an Amish terrorist?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#9Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 11:50:48 PM
The Amish don't go around shoving s*** into people's faces and claiming exclusive truth, though.
---
#10bratt100Posted 4/25/2013 3:00:56 AM
C_Mat posted...
There's nothing wrong with fundamentalism, it just depends what the fundamental is. Have you ever seen an Amish terrorist?

"stop him! He's getting away...very slowly"
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape