This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The difference between religious fundamentalism and antitheism:

#11mgtonvac55Posted 4/25/2013 4:15:43 AM
They also approach the Bible in the same way: Literally, to the extent that that supports their interests. Joke groups of people, honestly.

Well, if they're arguing against YEC's who take the bible literally, then arguing from that standpoint to point out absurdities and prove them wrong would make sense.
---
New York Yankees 11-9
#12Hustle KongPosted 4/25/2013 4:38:30 AM
The problem, though, is that they seem to imagine every single religionists is that sort of fundamentalist. They too seem to imagine that the only "real" practitioners of a religion are those fundamentalists.

I agree with Jonwood that it seems to be a reaction to fundamentalism. However, it is an overreaction and a rather large error.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#13Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 7:32:42 AM
Well, if they're arguing against YEC's who take the bible literally, then arguing from that standpoint to point out absurdities and prove them wrong would make sense.

They do it with everyone in their attempts to "evangelize," because...
The problem, though, is that they seem to imagine every single religionists is that sort of fundamentalist. They too seem to imagine that the only "real" practitioners of a religion are those fundamentalists.

...of this issue. The black-and-white, you're either this or not this, Manichaeanism is the same thing the fundies do.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#14C_MatPosted 4/25/2013 3:38:10 PM
Iamvegito posted...
The Amish don't go around shoving s*** into people's faces and claiming exclusive truth, though.

I understand why the first would bother you, but what's wrong with the second?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#15Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 5:18:28 PM
but what's wrong with the second?

We're light-years past that in postmodernity, come into the light.

People holding on to an outmoded past?
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#16C_MatPosted 4/25/2013 6:05:10 PM(edited)
Iamvegito posted...
but what's wrong with the second?

We're light-years past that in postmodernity, come into the light.

People holding on to an outmoded past?

I think post-modernism is regressive, not progressive. For you to insinuate that my belief about absolute truth is wrong and yours is right shows that you're not much of a post-modernist at all. Since we don't have some external standard that shows whether a post-modern society is getting more or less progressive, I don't see how you could even tell someone to come into the light. Are you claiming to know the truth?
--
#17Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 6:35:16 PM
or you to insinuate that my belief about absolute truth is wrong and yours is right shows that you're not much of a post-modernist at all.

Where have I claimed to hold absolute truth? I hate absolute truth claims - they are all relative. You cannot know the experiences of another person, let alone get into a different culture.
I don't see how you could even tell someone to come into the light.

Post-modernism is liberating. You don't have to be blinded by a desire for something you'll never possess.
Are you claiming to know the truth?

Absolutely not! I'm in a constant state of Becoming - moving toward my truth. Even if I were to claim "truth," it would only be my truth.
---
#18Julian_CaesarPosted 4/26/2013 3:15:21 AM
I find anti theism often comes as a response to fundamentalism. Just an observation I make looking at some of the more anti theist atheists on r/atheism.

Fundamentalism in society is like lawyers in a small town, though.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#19C_MatPosted 4/26/2013 3:16:48 AM
Iamvegito posted...
or you to insinuate that my belief about absolute truth is wrong and yours is right shows that you're not much of a post-modernist at all.

Where have I claimed to hold absolute truth? I hate absolute truth claims - they are all relative. You cannot know the experiences of another person, let alone get into a different culture.
I don't see how you could even tell someone to come into the light.

Post-modernism is liberating. You don't have to be blinded by a desire for something you'll never possess.
Are you claiming to know the truth?

Absolutely not! I'm in a constant state of Becoming - moving toward my truth. Even if I were to claim "truth," it would only be my truth.

If you think truth is relative and personal, how can I be wrong about it?
---
#20Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 6:42:19 AM(edited)
If you think truth is relative and personal, how can I be wrong about it?

There is no objective reality. That claim is in itself "wrong" to postmoderns, being the point on which it is antagonistic to modernity.
---