This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The difference between religious fundamentalism and antitheism:

#21mrplainswalkerPosted 4/26/2013 7:03:56 AM
Iamvegito posted...
Nothing. Don't hate people who are different than you. We learned that in preschool, guys.

Depends what kind of "antitheism" you're talking about. If you're talking about people who are trying to pass legislation to make theism illegal, or antitheist terrorists, or people who claim persecution whenever a theist prays on their own time...then yes you are absolutely correct. I've just never met an antitheist that does any of those things.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#22C_MatPosted 4/26/2013 7:34:53 AM
Iamvegito posted...
There is no objective reality. That claim is in itself "wrong" to postmoderns, being the point on which it is antagonistic to modernity.

So the only objective truth is that there is no objective truth?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#23squareandrarePosted 4/26/2013 9:26:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#24Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 8:22:50 AM

Totally the same, if you ignore the part where only one of them requires a completely unsubstantiated belief in the supernatural.

Please take the trolling elsewhere.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#25DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 9:53:12 AM(edited)
I love how anytime anyone disagrees with vegito he just calls them a troll and doesnt respond.

also, there IS an objective reality, we just don't have the means to determine what that is. logic necessitates objectivity in face of facts. I think therefore I am, therefore there must be an explanation for my existence, my past indicates to me that I am like a ray, that had a starting point but then proceed into the future, I don't know if that will terminate, but I do know, for instance then, that I have not always existed, so an explanation via eliminated. Anyone who explains their own existence through eternity is objectively wrong. Many religions are mutually exclusive, both of them cannot be an objective reality. But whatever the explanation for reality is, is. it does not magically change based on perspective.

In 1+x=3, x is the number 2 (im skipping possibilities like "(-2+4)" for simplicity's sake)
Now, if 1 and 3 were subtituted for y and z, and we only have y+x=z, x STILL equals 2 regardless if we verify it. If I were to say that x=10, I would be incorrect and not know it. If I were to say that x does =2, I would be correct and not know it.

But vegito is just gonna cuss at me and call me a troll, probably (in a very unChristlike manner I might add)
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#26C_MatPosted 4/27/2013 11:11:05 AM
Iamvegito posted...

Totally the same, if you ignore the part where only one of them requires a completely unsubstantiated belief in the supernatural.

How is that trolling? I feel like your position obviously contradicts itself if you tell me that there is no truth and that I am wrong.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#27squareandrarePosted 4/27/2013 12:13:18 PM

Have you considered the possibility that I'm not actually trolling, and your argument is, in fact, just driveling nonsense?
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#28Moorish_IdolPosted 4/27/2013 12:21:18 PM(edited)
squareandrare posted...

Have you considered the possibility that I'm not actually trolling, and your argument is, in fact, just driveling nonsense?

Vegito was referring to the behaviours of the two groups. You addressed the beliefs of the two groups.
#29squareandrarePosted 4/27/2013 12:52:10 PM
Vegito was referring to the behaviours of the two groups. You addressed the beliefs of the two groups.

If he truly only meant behavior, then he chose a pretty silly topic title and opening post.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#30Iamvegito(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 2:17:23 PM
How is that trolling? I feel like your position obviously contradicts itself if you tell me that there is no truth and that I am wrong.

You are currently falling into a modernist trap and trying to use it as a critique of postmodernity. That does. Not. Work.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."