This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atnn: Hustle Kong

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Atnn: Hustle Kong
3 years ago#1
Hey bud,

This topic has been created to ask the specific question: Why are you not a Christian (or a Muslim, or a Jew, or some other theistic faith?)?

This isn't any attempt to trap you into some answer or another, I'm just genuinely interested in why you have rejected these teachings as the truth.
Quote of the Week: "Sinners, all committing their crimes with abandon, safe in the knowledge that their absolution was one quick church trip away"
3 years ago#2
Because he doesn't believe in a god.
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
3 years ago#3
I have not seen, heard, or felt anything that leads me to suppose there are any gods.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
3 years ago#4
I apologize if my position isn't exciting. It's not a very exciting one to hold, either.
Shooting Game never die.
3 years ago#5
So with the absence of a deity, the rest of the teachings hold no appeal for you?
Quote of the Week: "Sinners, all committing their crimes with abandon, safe in the knowledge that their absolution was one quick church trip away"
3 years ago#6
The real question is why you call your beliefs religious when they have nothing to do with metaphysics or the supernatural. Buddhism can be a philosophy and not a religion.
3 years ago#7
KNessJM posted...
So with the absence of a deity, the rest of the teachings hold no appeal for you?

Its moot, isnt it? The deity is a central pillar to the practice of these religions. I mean, Ive heard of practicing Jews who dont believe in a deity but practice anyway as a traditional connection to their ancestors, but that would be pointless for a gentile like Kozlo. The other two are uncompromisingly theistic (and, despite those weird exceptions, I would argue that, at its core, Judaism is also)
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
3 years ago#8
KNessJM posted...

There are some bits that I like and admire, sure. Enough that I manage to get along pretty well with most practitioners, and can live in societies in which most forms are predominant. But not enough that I think the only thing from keeping me from being this or that is the existence of a god.
Shooting Game never die.
3 years ago#9
AynRandySavage posted...
The real question is why you call your beliefs religious when they have nothing to do with metaphysics or the supernatural. Buddhism can be a philosophy and not a religion.

I know that it can be a philosophy. I thank you for your attempt at educating me. I have held philosophies before. I understand the internal difference between a philosophical opinion and the awakening of faith. Contrary to how you insist I live my life, a religious belief does not have to have anything to do with the supernatural. And you are a number of centuries late in calling me out on this, as I am certainly not the first Buddhist to reject the supernatural, nor will I be the last.

And an important clarification, perhaps. I call my practice religious. I am continuing to try to abandon as many beliefs as I can. While this was certainly possible as a "plain" atheist, my practice of Buddhism has helped me immensely. As I find myself practicing Buddhism, I find that it tends to clarify things to identify myself as one.

Reality doesn't care one bit about what I believe. If there are gods or not, if there are spirits or not, they are not increased or decreased by my belief or non-belief in them. I take refuge in the triple jewel and try to practice the noble eightfold path. If you think that does not qualify me to use the identification I do, that is your problem. My practice of Buddhism and its connection to me on a level "deeper" than philosophy is not increased or decreased based on your belief or non-belief.
Shooting Game never die.
3 years ago#10
Hustle Kong posted...
AynRandySavage posted...

I know that it can be a philosophy. I thank you for your attempt at educating me. I have held philosophies before. I understand the internal difference between a philosophical opinion and the awakening of faith. Contrary to how you insist I live my life, a religious belief does not have to have anything to do with the supernatural. And you are a number of centuries late in calling me out on this, as I am certainly not the first Buddhist to reject the supernatural, nor will I be the last.

And an important clarification, perhaps. I call my practice religious. I am continuing to try to abandon as many beliefs as I can. While this was certainly possible as a "plain" atheist, my practice of Buddhism has helped me immensely. As I find myself practicing Buddhism, I find that it tends to clarify things to identify myself as one.

Reality doesn't care one bit about what I believe. If there are gods or not, if there are spirits or not, they are not increased or decreased by my belief or non-belief in them. I take refuge in the triple jewel and try to practice the noble eightfold path. If you think that does not qualify me to use the identification I do, that is your problem. My practice of Buddhism and its connection to me on a level "deeper" than philosophy is not increased or decreased based on your belief or non-belief.

But that still begs the question of why you call it a religion. What separates your religious Buddhism from something like Confucianism?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Atnn: Hustle Kong

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived