This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atnn: Hustle Kong

#1KNessJMPosted 4/22/2013 12:36:19 AM
Hey bud,

This topic has been created to ask the specific question: Why are you not a Christian (or a Muslim, or a Jew, or some other theistic faith?)?

This isn't any attempt to trap you into some answer or another, I'm just genuinely interested in why you have rejected these teachings as the truth.
---
Quote of the Week: "Sinners, all committing their crimes with abandon, safe in the knowledge that their absolution was one quick church trip away"
#2bratt100Posted 4/22/2013 3:08:36 AM
Because he doesn't believe in a god.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#3Hustle KongPosted 4/22/2013 5:04:47 AM
I have not seen, heard, or felt anything that leads me to suppose there are any gods.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4Hustle KongPosted 4/22/2013 5:22:09 AM
I apologize if my position isn't exciting. It's not a very exciting one to hold, either.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#5KNessJM(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 7:22:30 AM
So with the absence of a deity, the rest of the teachings hold no appeal for you?
---
Quote of the Week: "Sinners, all committing their crimes with abandon, safe in the knowledge that their absolution was one quick church trip away"
#6AynRandySavagePosted 4/22/2013 7:39:28 AM(edited)
The real question is why you call your beliefs religious when they have nothing to do with metaphysics or the supernatural. Buddhism can be a philosophy and not a religion.
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/22/2013 8:05:29 AM
KNessJM posted...
So with the absence of a deity, the rest of the teachings hold no appeal for you?

Its moot, isnt it? The deity is a central pillar to the practice of these religions. I mean, Ive heard of practicing Jews who dont believe in a deity but practice anyway as a traditional connection to their ancestors, but that would be pointless for a gentile like Kozlo. The other two are uncompromisingly theistic (and, despite those weird exceptions, I would argue that, at its core, Judaism is also)
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#8Hustle KongPosted 4/22/2013 9:56:33 AM
KNessJM posted...

There are some bits that I like and admire, sure. Enough that I manage to get along pretty well with most practitioners, and can live in societies in which most forms are predominant. But not enough that I think the only thing from keeping me from being this or that is the existence of a god.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#9Hustle KongPosted 4/22/2013 10:12:07 AM(edited)
AynRandySavage posted...
The real question is why you call your beliefs religious when they have nothing to do with metaphysics or the supernatural. Buddhism can be a philosophy and not a religion.

I know that it can be a philosophy. I thank you for your attempt at educating me. I have held philosophies before. I understand the internal difference between a philosophical opinion and the awakening of faith. Contrary to how you insist I live my life, a religious belief does not have to have anything to do with the supernatural. And you are a number of centuries late in calling me out on this, as I am certainly not the first Buddhist to reject the supernatural, nor will I be the last.

And an important clarification, perhaps. I call my practice religious. I am continuing to try to abandon as many beliefs as I can. While this was certainly possible as a "plain" atheist, my practice of Buddhism has helped me immensely. As I find myself practicing Buddhism, I find that it tends to clarify things to identify myself as one.

Reality doesn't care one bit about what I believe. If there are gods or not, if there are spirits or not, they are not increased or decreased by my belief or non-belief in them. I take refuge in the triple jewel and try to practice the noble eightfold path. If you think that does not qualify me to use the identification I do, that is your problem. My practice of Buddhism and its connection to me on a level "deeper" than philosophy is not increased or decreased based on your belief or non-belief.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#10AynRandySavagePosted 4/22/2013 11:26:02 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
AynRandySavage posted...

I know that it can be a philosophy. I thank you for your attempt at educating me. I have held philosophies before. I understand the internal difference between a philosophical opinion and the awakening of faith. Contrary to how you insist I live my life, a religious belief does not have to have anything to do with the supernatural. And you are a number of centuries late in calling me out on this, as I am certainly not the first Buddhist to reject the supernatural, nor will I be the last.

And an important clarification, perhaps. I call my practice religious. I am continuing to try to abandon as many beliefs as I can. While this was certainly possible as a "plain" atheist, my practice of Buddhism has helped me immensely. As I find myself practicing Buddhism, I find that it tends to clarify things to identify myself as one.

Reality doesn't care one bit about what I believe. If there are gods or not, if there are spirits or not, they are not increased or decreased by my belief or non-belief in them. I take refuge in the triple jewel and try to practice the noble eightfold path. If you think that does not qualify me to use the identification I do, that is your problem. My practice of Buddhism and its connection to me on a level "deeper" than philosophy is not increased or decreased based on your belief or non-belief.

But that still begs the question of why you call it a religion. What separates your religious Buddhism from something like Confucianism?