This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wolf Blitzer's Bible Challenge #1: The 10 Commandments

#11Polish_CrusaderPosted 4/22/2013 12:20:02 PM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...
Exodus 20:13 “You shall not murder."

1. Does this mean you are going to Hell?

2. What should you have done, since God put you in that situation?

3. Does this mean that the other guy, who did not murder you, is not going to Hell?

1.)Defending your life is not murder. The commandment is in reference to murder.

2.)Exactly what you said, try to talk the guy out of it, if he doesnt want to, then force him to stop it, if death has to be reached then thats that.

3.)That depends on his relationship with God. Good people do make mistakes. God forgives anybody for everything, even murder, genocide, etc. They just have to play by his rules to get the forgiveness.
#12SilviiroPosted 4/22/2013 1:27:26 PM
1. This is pretty clearly not murder.
2. Personally, as a trained martial artist I would have attempted to put him in enough pain that he cannot fight back without causing severe damage, but I would not recommend anyone else try the same. In fact if he was trying to punch me beforehand I would have already taken care of him before he could get a gun out.
3. I do not decide or know who will or will not go to any sort of Hell.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#13SuibomPosted 4/22/2013 4:12:48 PM
3. Does this mean that the other guy, who did not murder you, is not going to Hell?

I'm going to answer twice; once strictly sticking to the hypothetical, and once for how I probably would have responded.

Hypothetical
1. No. Wasn't murder. I was defending myself and my girlfriend from an aggressor who has escalated the conflict to life-endangering levels.

2. See below.

3. I don't know. He probably is.. He doesn't sound much like a Christian.

For realz
1. No, because I wouldn't have killed him, because...

2. I have a policy concerning physical conflict. I'm going to pass it on to my son. It's called R4. Removal. Reasoning. Resistance. And lastly Restraint. Meaning if I can't remove myself from the situation, I'm going to try and reason with them. If I can't reason with them, I'm going to put some sort of resistance up between them and I, be it by obstacles, law enforcement, or crowd. If I can't resist them, I'll wrap them up and restrain them until help comes. But I'd never intentionally hurt them.

3. He wouldn't have died because whatcha gonna do, brutha, when these 18" pythons run wild on youuuuuuuuu?

Also... How in the world would I have stabbed, and killed him, if he had distance and a gun?!
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#14Hustle KongPosted 4/22/2013 4:42:45 PM
Also... How in the world would I have stabbed, and killed him, if he had distance and a gun?!

It's all in the reflexes.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#15Julian_CaesarPosted 4/23/2013 12:37:07 AM
Now some questions:

1. Not necessarily.
2. Whatever I feel is the most Godly response. For me, that would have probably been not fighting, and getting between the gun and my loved one.
3. I have no idea. Only he and God know how their relationship was before he died.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#16XoarWinsPosted 4/23/2013 8:25:16 AM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...

1. Yes. Because if you could have disarmed him and not killed him, killing him's murder!!
2. Disarmed him, threw his gun away, told him that you're calling the police.
3. He clearly is intoxicated or crazed. The Old Testament says what God will do to the gunman.

tc is clearly not a Christian imho.
---
If your Mom stopped coming by my house and actually WORKED, you might have something. Boy.
#17TheRealJiraiyaPosted 4/23/2013 8:34:29 AM(edited)
XoarWins posted...
wolf_blitzer85 posted...

1. Yes. Because if you could have disarmed him and not killed him, killing him's murder!!
2. Disarmed him, threw his gun away, told him that you're calling the police.
3. He clearly is intoxicated or crazed. The Old Testament says what God will do to the gunman.

tc is clearly not a Christian imho.

Your assumption that he could have been disarmed without dying is not part of the hypothetical. The hypothetical merely says that he dies in the process of you taking necessary actions to defend yourself.

Edit: Your second response also assumes you are some kind of pocket-knife ninja
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#18wolf_blitzer85(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 9:13:48 AM
Maverick3000 posted...
This is not murder. This is a terrible question and you should feel terrible for calling it a "challenge."

from a certain online dictionary that I cannot post the source for here because TOS violation:

murder 648up, 121down
1.To kill another human, often used in a not litteral form, mearly implying a beat down
2.A group of crows
1.If you dont back off ill be forced to murder ur ass!
2.I have been following a murder around for the past week, as part of my study on birds.

Murder is murder.

And I don't feel terrible, I feel GREAT. Like butter on a piece of perfectly toasted bread.
---
Redcount doesn't even lift and he thinks he's all badass. -- Cynyn
#19Wandering__HeroPosted 4/24/2013 3:01:07 PM
Ugh, will the atheists desperate to attack Christianity do their research.

Killing in self defence is not murder. If that commandment didn't allow for killing in self defence it would make a mockery of the rest of the old testament and people wouldn't be allowed to be soldiers
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
Official Generic Village Girl of the FE13 board
#20mercuryinkPosted 4/24/2013 5:42:13 PM
In what universe is "A guy threatens you with a gun so you stab him in self defense" murder?
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003