This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A mini-allegory understanding Christian vs Atheist worldviews

#41bratt100Posted 4/25/2013 6:46:06 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
^ Then you guys should compare modern Christians to modern atheists.

I do and I see less violence but just as much denial. The crazies are in the minority but some how they have way more say in policies then they should. What with the "teach the controversy" nonsense.

The fundamentalists are outnumbered by atheists even and yet they seem to be the ones who are voted in constantly.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#42Julian_CaesarPosted 4/26/2013 1:17:20 AM
I did say I didn't agree with all of it, but it does do a good job of explaining why we're more similar than we are different.

Normally, you can't tell someone's theism or lack thereof based on their actions, aside from specific tells.

Ahhhhh....ok.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#43C_Mat(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 2:31:56 PM
Faust_8 posted...
......it was never meant to show a contrast. I mean...what? The whole thing is basically just saying that atheists take common sense troubleshooting views to the god question, whereas theists do the same with their views of morality. It was never contrasting their actions, just where their philosophy originates.

If that wasn't meant to show a contrast, it seems pretty worthless.

Are you never going to see the futility in quoting Bible verses to atheists?

No. It's worked on turning enough atheists into Christians, I'm gonna keep doing it.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#44Reinbach_IIIPosted 4/28/2013 12:46:41 AM(edited)
No. It's worked on turning enough atheists into Christians, I'm gonna keep doing it.

Please give an account of the last time you Bible quoted an atheist into a Christian.

Anyway, you're taking Faust's post out of context there. It wasn't a response to a conversion attempt, it was a response to an argument about objective morality. Doing an "I'm right because the Bible says so" only really works if the other person already accepts the Bible (and your interpretation of it) as the truth.
---
I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein. - George W. Bush
#45C_Mat(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 3:11:26 PM
Reinbach_III posted...
Please give an account of the last time you Bible quoted an atheist into a Christian.

I have not.

Anyway, you're taking Faust's post out of context there. It wasn't a response to a conversion attempt, it was a response to an argument about objective morality. Doing an "I'm right because the Bible says so" only really works if the other person already accepts the Bible (and your interpretation of it) as the truth.

I wasn't entering into debate with Faust, I was just giving him some truth.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#46Reinbach_IIIPosted 4/28/2013 10:16:34 PM
I have not.
I wasn't entering into debate with Faust, I was just giving him some truth.

If that was the only point in your post, perhaps you should get some advice from those who have successfully Bible quoted atheists into Christians, because you're clearly not very good at it. Maybe you could demonstrate that the passage in question is the truth, as you claim too.
---
I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein. - George W. Bush
#47mrplainswalkerPosted 4/29/2013 5:23:59 AM
That means all people have morality written on their hearts, which is the Biblical explanation for why you can't really tell an atheist from a Christian by their moral example.

That is completely ad hoc and while it may account for morality, it explains nothing nor does it have any backing whatsoever. I could just as easily say that all neutrons have a collective consciousness and because we're all linked, we share empathy. It all makes sense now!

As for the analogy...I like it! Somebody walking around the room talking to people who aren't there? Yeah, that sounds about right.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica