This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Couple has lost their second child due to only using prayer instead of medicine

#11FlashOfLightPosted 4/24/2013 6:43:11 AM
Suibom posted...
Flash, it's kind of sad, but I've heard people from their circles say that Paul was in sin, and that's why he had such a rough experience in ministry. Probably didnt help that his friend was an evil doctor... :/

I'd be interested in watching a video of their get togethers to see what kind of Doctrine, or lack thereof, is preached among them. No doubt the kind of mentality their group has can be instantly discerned by just watching how they speak on subjects within the first two minutes.

I don't have much other information on their particular church, but I may be kind of getting the impression that it may be one of those niche-only churches, where only one thing is focused on, which in their case may just be healing and not much else, similar to how some churches only base their whole fellowship on snake handling and drinking poison, and nothing else.

I would also like to hear exactly what particulars they accuse Paul of being in sin for, and it makes me wonder if they apply their same scrutiny to his writings just because they first believe that about him.
---
Montreal was an inside job.
#12DoGCyNPosted 4/24/2013 7:45:41 AM
Depressing...
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#13OzymandiasIVPosted 4/24/2013 9:38:14 AM
From: sumostickfigure | Posted: 4/24/2013 3:54:06 AM | #002
Honestly, I don't see how they could have learned better the second time around. The message the parents were getting from their church seems much too anti-medical science for them to have really considered any course of action other than faith healing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're coming away from this second incident thinking that they just didn't have enough faith and that's why their child died.

It's sad that that is what they might think, rather than, "Hey, this is clearly a bunch of BS!"
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#14OzymandiasIVPosted 4/24/2013 9:42:12 AM
A second child died under their hands due to health complications... it sounds to me like there is an issue of sanitation going on there at whatever home they resided in.

Sanitation? Really? Children get sick. It happens. Death is what occurs when you don't treat the kid's sickness. Maybe it was a matter of sanitation, but what you say heavily implies that clean homes result in children not getting sick.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#15Julian_CaesarPosted 4/26/2013 2:25:59 AM
And a good reason why religious beliefs need to be kept in check. They were far to free to practice their religion and it cost the world 2 innocent children. The same goes for people who refuse to give their children life saving blood transfusions.

"The Boston bombings are a good reason why religious beliefs need to be kept in check. They were far too free to practice Islam and it cost the world at least 4 innocent lives. The same goes for people who refuse to turn in their relatives who read extremist jihad websites."

Am I doing it right?
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#16Julian_CaesarPosted 4/26/2013 2:30:32 AM
People who believe in faith healing over real medicine should not have children. They certainly shouldn't be allowed to endanger their children's lives by pretending that no advances in medical science have occurred in the last ever.

To be fair, there's a big difference between people who simply believe in the power of faith over that of medicine (many people in my own family believe that, actually) and those who believe in the power of faith to the exclusion of medicine.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#17bratt100Posted 4/26/2013 3:44:24 AM
Julian_Caesar posted...
And a good reason why religious beliefs need to be kept in check. They were far to free to practice their religion and it cost the world 2 innocent children. The same goes for people who refuse to give their children life saving blood transfusions.

"The Boston bombings are a good reason why religious beliefs need to be kept in check. They were far too free to practice Islam and it cost the world at least 4 innocent lives. The same goes for people who refuse to turn in their relatives who read extremist jihad websites."

Am I doing it right?

Yes because putting reasonable limits on freedoms is some crazy new thing.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#18SSj4WingzeroPosted 4/26/2013 10:26:53 AM
It honestly seems to me that depending on God to solve your problems some miraculous way instead of using resources God has deliberately placed in front of you is wrong, and even sinful. It's testing God...it seems like something an angstheist would do in order to attempt to prove that God doesn't exist. "If God exists, why doesn't he fix ______?" Same deal here. It'd be akin to refusing to go around looking at apartments and instead praying that a house would magically fall down from the sky to house your family in a tax haven.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#19JigglysaintPosted 4/26/2013 11:56:55 AM
If they are willing to let their children die for their beliefs, than perhaps they too should die for their beliefs.
#20Resident WeevilPosted 4/27/2013 10:58:26 PM
Jigglysaint posted...
If they are willing to let their children die for their beliefs, than perhaps they too should die for their beliefs.

R'amen.
---
HP/MP restored!
...but you're still hungry