This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An anecdotal examination of confirmation bias

#41Faust_8Posted 4/26/2013 8:57:06 PM
Don't assume we're that skeptical though. If I saw a guy that was in all respects Jesus and he walked on water that I myself could go examine and find it was actually water (no near-invisible plexiglass that he's standing on for example) it's not like I could easily conclude he's just a long-haired illusionist.

Obviously there are some hypothetical situations where the "proof" wouldn't be enough but it's not like they ALL are, nor is it an instant convert-or-reject thing (as in, just because there is initial skepticism doesn't mean there can't be a later conversion after some time to think).

Like the whole resurrection thing--it would depend entirely on how sure I was that he was dead and then that he actually resurrected (as in, I can't just hear from some dude that he totally came back and ascended and I just wasn't around to see it).
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#42almasbabyPosted 4/27/2013 7:53:04 AM
But would you conclude that he was God, or just some freak of nature, or perhaps some conjurer that you can't figure out? I think to believe in God it takes more than an extraordinary event to convince you. There's a spiritual sense involved, a feeling of God's presense as a living being. You don't just see God in his works. You see him in your heart, in your soul. I wouldn't believe in God if I didn't experience him in that manner no matter how many tricks he performed that defied physics.
---
Hi ho. Hi ho. It's off to work I go. To post and troll, I know my role. Hi ho. Hi ho. Hi ho. Hi ho. - Suibom
#43almasbabyPosted 4/27/2013 7:57:01 AM
Also, what you're saying is that there is a point where you would be subject to faith by incredulity. You'd test him, put him in a lab, run every test available, and then when you can't figure out how he did it, you'd resort to the god of the gaps.

"I can't figure out how he did it, so it must be God."
---
Hi ho. Hi ho. It's off to work I go. To post and troll, I know my role. Hi ho. Hi ho. Hi ho. Hi ho. - Suibom
#44DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 8:21:12 AM
yeah, if someone resurrects from the dead after predicting he would prior to doing so and **** like that I'm not waiting for science to figure that one out
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#45almasbabyPosted 4/27/2013 8:27:53 AM
DarkContractor posted...
yeah, if someone resurrects from the dead after predicting he would prior to doing so and **** like that I'm not waiting for science to figure that one out

So, you would give into incredulity then. Because it's something which defies physics as we know it, you'd resort to the god of the gaps.
---
#46DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 9:21:38 AM
DarkContractor posted...

So, you would give into incredulity then. Because it's something which defies physics as we know it, you'd resort to the god of the gaps.

absolutely
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#47DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 9:22:54 AM
actually, since Jesus would be able to demonstrate cognitive but non material control over the universe, that WOULD be evidence of a God, not a God of the Gaps.
---
#48Thuggernautz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 9:58:10 AM(edited)
almasbaby posted...
But would you conclude that he was God, or just some freak of nature, or perhaps some conjurer that you can't figure out? I think to believe in God it takes more than an extraordinary event to convince you. There's a spiritual sense involved, a feeling of God's presense as a living being. You don't just see God in his works. You see him in your heart, in your soul. I wouldn't believe in God if I didn't experience him in that manner no matter how many tricks he performed that defied physics.

You can't see with your heart, that's not its purpose. That's what eyes are for. No-one has yet been able to show any evidence for the existence of a soul. This whole post is one bit of conjecture relying on multiple unproven assumptions and then asking someone to 'believe' in such a result. Nonsense.

In terms of the OP, feelings are so much less trustworthy than observations. Observations can be verified through another, are generally much harder to successfully fabricate and utilize the only way we have of perceiving our surroundings, the tried and trusted empiricism.

I would claim the strongest of 'spiritual' feelings during orgasm, during the use of certain drugs, or even sometimes just when enjoying the first summer sun on my face after a long winter. When I was still attending Church, I had similar 'feelings', which I have since gotten at many non-religious group gathering with hundreds of euphoric people in a similar state of mind (eg concerts). Other people claim all kinds of spiritual 'presences' in their lives, for good or evil. We put some of them in mental hospitals. In all these cases, none of the experiences can be linked to God. I could, all it would take is to just say "I was feeling God's presence". Those words could be true, a lie, or a complete misunderstanding. I could replace God with Zeus, Tiamat, or the FSM.

Point being, I think feelings are even worse than anecdotal observations in terms of confirmation bias as they are significantly less trustworthy.
#49Moorish_IdolPosted 4/27/2013 9:54:28 AM
Funny thing is, I already believe in god, and yet I wouldn't believe someone resurrecting. I'd either consider it a fluke (people have died and come back before), or he is an illusionist.

Honestly I think you guys aren't giving your skepticism enough credit.
#50DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 9:57:57 AM
Yeah, he needs evidence that the heart can sense these spiritual things, he needs evidence that the soul exists, he needs to demonstrate the reliability of this sense (kinda like how not everyone has perfect vision, perfect hearing (mine is actually mediocre), he would need to demonstrate that his 'soul sense' is working properly and that his conclusion of God is not messed up (which I think it's very likely that any soul sense we have would be very messed up. Not only is every other bit of the human body prone to failure, but I think the hundreds of religions is enough evidence for that claim)
---