This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So... what does this board think about the Shin Megami Tensei video game series?

#1mtjormitchPosted 4/25/2013 1:37:21 PM
If you don't know what the series is. Well. It is a series made back in the 1980's by a Japanese company called Atlus. Since the first game the series has always been in third place in terms of most sold RPG made in Japan series. With only Final Fantasy and Dragons Quest beating it.

Now. Why am I asking a board about religion on their views about this game series... well... I am going to copy and paste the plot synopsis of the first game and you need to react to it. Be honest about it!

"It's a fairly average day for you, aside from the vaguely prophetic dream you had the night before. The dog needs to be walked, your mother wants you to run down to the cafe and pick up some coffee, and you received an email claiming that a portal to Hell has been opened and that demons are invading the world.

Wait, what?

And so begins Shin Megami Tensei. Tokyo is under martial law, demons are prowling the streets, strange old men are telling you that your destiny awaits and you've been thrown in jail accused of murder. Soon you encounter the same people you saw in your dream the previous night, and meet up with La Résistance who are trying to stop a Japanese general from using the demons to commit a coup-d'etat and trying to prevent America from dropping a dozen nukes on the city. All you have to help you survive is a knife and a Demon Summoning Program that you received with the email that morning, which allows you to converse with demons and bind them to your service, storing them in your computer as digital data. Of course, not all is as it seems and before you know it, the Earth has been destroyed and you're lost in a different plane of reality.

This is only the beginning.

The real meat of the game takes place thirty years After the End in the ruins of Tokyo. Two factions are trying to create a new world in their image: first, the Messians, whose goal is to establish a Thousand Year Kingdom of God under the (rather unforgiving) guidance of the angels. Opposing them are the Gaians, who wish to return the world to a primal state of anarchy with the demons. Your former companions have chosen their sides, and it's now up to you to decide how this new world should be ruled."

Yes. This game exists. All taken from the TVtropes page. It fails to mention the three endings though.

So... this is kinda a spoiler so... yeah, spoilers for a 20 year old game.

There are three endings, Law, Chaos and Neutral.

Law in ALL of the SMT games involves stripping away free will from humanity and only celebrating God. They even mention YHVH. Chaos usually involves going along with the devil and making a world of humans and demons where survival is the only law. While Neutral. The Hardest to achieve, usually involves killing BOTH parties and others so that humanity can break free of both influences. Yes, this happens in all the games that have a neutral ending.

And yes, one of the final bosses in these games is usually and or possibly God.

Yep... Now... this doesn't really cover how you become a demon in the third game and are meant to do... well... if you want a spoiler search up, True Demon Ending on youtube for the games ending. I am running out of characters!

Heck, in some of them you fight the major beings of Islam, Hinduism and Buddism. Even freaking Lovecraftian monsters as well. They do pretty good research on all of it as well. They don't just ad them to be cool but they add them to enhance the story of the games. Which are all pretty awesome IMO.

So... what is your opinion of this crazy video game series?
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#2OzymandiasIVPosted 4/25/2013 1:45:44 PM
Haven't played them yet, but I believe they have been released on DS and rereleased on 3DS. Once I have some time and a bit of extra money saved up, I hope to pick them up. However, there are several other titles on the horizon I'm more excited for at the moment.

I'm an atheist and I only consider all of this to be a creative story. I'm not in it for the potential attack on religion that it might represent, but because, from what I hear, they are simply fantastic and brutally challenging games.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#3mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 1:51:27 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
Haven't played them yet, but I believe they have been released on DS and rereleased on 3DS. Once I have some time and a bit of extra money saved up, I hope to pick them up. However, there are several other titles on the horizon I'm more excited for at the moment.

I'm an atheist and I only consider all of this to be a creative story. I'm not in it for the potential attack on religion that it might represent, but because, from what I hear, they are simply fantastic and brutally challenging games.

Christian myself. I gotta say. These games are insanely awesome. Also... you should research the spell names. It kinda is like Final Fantasy in a way that you should know the terminology.

Zio is electric.

Agi is fire,

Hama is light,

Mudo is dark,

bufu is ice,

garu is wind,

There is way more to the terminology but know that having something like Ziodyne is awesome for how much it can damage enemies but Zionga is weaker.

I just saved you some frustration with any of the games. Trust me... I played Strange Journey first... the hardest game in the series.

The games are just stories. Damn good ones at that.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#4Demon_LionheartPosted 4/25/2013 2:05:03 PM
It's probably my favorite series. I don't necessarily consider it anti-religion, since it doesn't typically glorify the other sides - moreso anti everything. The way I see it is "Demons suck, angels suck worse, and humans suck even more". Though it does differ from game to game - Devil Survivor has a lawful side that seems to actually care for humanity and wants to help them, while the same could be said about Strange Journey's chaos side, the last boss actually says she'll protect humans should the world be returned to a more primal state. And what you said about neutral isn't always true. Referring to Devil Survivor again for example - one 'neutral' ending involves subduing all the demons and taking control of them, and another sends them back to their world - in which cases the lawful side simply backs off, saying that the ordeal is over but they will be back if humanity steps over the line again.

All in all, unless you're really insecure about your beliefs, I consider the series great to look into :3
#5DoGCyNPosted 4/25/2013 2:33:06 PM
Christian.

I've played 3 and 4. Both are in my top 10 games. Great pieces of work!

I personally look at games as a work of art, portraying the designer/teams thoughts as they present their story.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#6SilviiroPosted 4/25/2013 2:39:06 PM
I personally look at games as a work of art, portraying the designer/teams thoughts as they present their story.

This. A fictional god in a video game has nothing to do with any real god.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#7almasbabyPosted 4/25/2013 3:39:04 PM
I played Persona 3. I couldn't really get into it, although I thought it was cool that to gain your powers you had to shoot yourself in the head.
#8DarkContractorPosted 4/25/2013 5:43:07 PM
i have persona 3 and Nocturne but never finished either. the dungeon crawling of Persona is so tedious I think one could use it as evidence of Hell n reality 8D the plot was pretty predictable.

Nocturne, I only got as far as the fight with Loki's bodyguard, but it was a really good game.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is another good one if you like the idea of opposing deities. cant really say anything else without spoiling (But be sure to play PoR first... both of them make a lot of snide remarks about religion if you pay close enough, honestly. it's pretty interesting)
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#9Tsuyoi3Posted 4/25/2013 7:18:13 PM
Played Raidou Kuzonoha 1 &2. Persona 3 & 4.
Christian.
Raidou 2 was first. Thought it strange when I forgave a repentant demon it put me more toward chaos (devil).
I was like...but forgiveness is supposed to be cool with God...
Still great games.
---
Manliness transcends both space, and time.
#10IlluminoiusPosted 4/25/2013 7:44:01 PM
mtjormitch posted...

I just saved you some frustration with any of the games. Trust me... I played Strange Journey first... the hardest game in the series.

not even close
it's trivial past the first dungeon