This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheist Libertarian Penn Jillette makes a great point about religion. (video)

#1UnfairRepresentPosted 4/27/2013 4:29:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJGxVeQw3SE#t=12m22s

The whole video is worth watching (If a little dated now) but watch at least from 12: 22 for about 3 minutes.

How come divine intervention, miracles that defy the laws of science, communication with God, tasks set by God, constant religious people claiming God has ideas for them. Taken as alright verbatim and okay.

In fact even today people still pray, and still claim God talks to them.

How come today in the 21st century, we refuse for one second to accept that someone even possibly could be doing God's Will, or that God has talked to them? Instead we call them insane.

It's having it both ways to claim that the people in the past had all this, just accepted as truth but no one in the present or future possibly can.
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#2SirThinkALotPosted 4/27/2013 5:11:53 AM
I would say that if somebody is going to claim that God audibly spoke to them, they should be willing and able to provide evidence. Jesus, the prophets and the Apostles all performed miracles to validate their message, I dont think its too much to expect the same from somebody who claims to be getting messages from God today.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#3IndoriPosted 4/27/2013 6:50:39 AM
Evidence in the form of miracles still happens today. Strangely, when provided with this evidence, a lot of people don't accept it because they're so sure that it's impossible. Their faith in what they already believe or disbelieve prevents them from just accepting that evidence.

What makes it even funnier is that they'll take the word of a politician (proverbial liars!) on one issue, but ignore the idea of a priest, teams of scientists, and billions of other people when they say that, yes, that piece of bread really really turned into a piece of heart muscle.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 4/27/2013 7:36:16 AM
In ancient times, it was easier for people to claim things like that and get people to believe it. I think the only reason it's taken seriously today while people making similar claims are never believed is because generations have believed in the miracles of the Bible/etc. for so long that it's seen as true regardless of its implausibility or lack of evidence. Appeal to tradition.
#5XoarWinsPosted 4/27/2013 7:41:37 AM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
In ancient times, it was easier for people to claim things like that and get people to believe it. I think the only reason it's taken seriously today while people making similar claims are never believed is because generations have believed in the miracles of the Bible/etc. for so long that it's seen as true regardless of its implausibility or lack of evidence. Appeal to tradition.

the TL;DR is appeal to tradition.

Eastern religions produce similar results, i guess, i would not think that eastern media wants to challenge Hinduism or Buddhism. Everyone except the Chinese.
---
If your Mom stopped coming by my house and actually WORKED, you might have something. Boy.
#6UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 10:41:54 AM
SirThinkALot posted...
I would say that if somebody is going to claim that God audibly spoke to them, they should be willing and able to provide evidence. Jesus, the prophets and the Apostles all performed miracles to validate their message, I dont think its too much to expect the same from somebody who claims to be getting messages from God today.

So if I performed actions you could not explain, and then said God was speaking to me, you would believe me?
---
#7DarkContractorPosted 4/27/2013 6:36:24 PM
Evidence in the form of miracles still happens today. Strangely, when provided with this evidence, a lot of people don't accept it because they're so sure that it's impossible. Their faith in what they already believe or disbelieve prevents them from just accepting that evidence.

What evidence? And after you post that evidence, post your evidence of people not accepting it because of their naturalistic perspective.

What makes it even funnier is that they'll take the word of a politician (proverbial liars!) on one issue, but ignore the idea of a priest, teams of scientists, and billions of other people when they say that, yes, that piece of bread really really turned into a piece of heart muscle.

Yeah, people who just 'trust' politicans tend to be dumb. Also who's saying that a piece of bread really turned into a piece of heart muscle and why do they say it?
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#8IndoriPosted 4/27/2013 6:40:36 PM
DarkContractor posted...

What evidence? And after you post that evidence, post your evidence of people not accepting it because of their naturalistic perspective.

Yeah, people who just 'trust' politicans tend to be dumb. Also who's saying that a piece of bread really turned into a piece of heart muscle and why do they say it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Lanciano
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#9SirThinkALotPosted 4/28/2013 7:30:04 AM
UnfairRepresent posted...
SirThinkALot posted...

So if I performed actions you could not explain, and then said God was speaking to me, you would believe me?

I'd certainly consider it
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#10UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 3:34:09 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...
SirThinkALot posted...

I'd certainly consider it

That's stupid. People do things I can't understand all the time.

Almost any magic show or medical conference.

Hell I've seen a guy remove and reattach his own leg.
---