This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheist Libertarian Penn Jillette makes a great point about religion. (video)

#31mystic belmontPosted 4/30/2013 5:28:59 AM
I find it interesting that the "God told me to kill my children" is a defense in the bible, but most people nowadays who are christian will not take that as an excuse.
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#32Julian_CaesarPosted 5/1/2013 6:50:02 PM
Aside from explicit laws in the case of children who rebelled against authority, and specific instances where children (i.e. Eli's sons) were quite clearly and obviously breaking God's laws, who exactly used that defense in the OT? You make it sound like the Hebrews went around doing what they wanted and then said "well God told me to do that." Only the prophets (and priests, as keepers of the Law) were allowed to do that. We don't do it nowadays because "open communication" with God (as allowed by Jesus' sacrifice) is a two-edged sword. Yes it allows us to have a relationship with God without a priest, but it also means we have to adhere to Jesus' terms (since He is the mediator of our salvation). Jesus had very different terms than the OT Law, which allowed priests to mete out justice as commanded by the Law and allowed prophets to tell everyone else what God said.

Thus, it's fine for OT prophets/priests to say "God told me to do it" because they were God's mediators. Now that Jesus has come, and has risen from the dead, He is our final mediator...thus any sort of "God told me to do it" must agree with Jesus' Gospel or it is flat-out wrong.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#33OzymandiasIVPosted 5/2/2013 9:48:25 PM
From: mystic belmont | Posted: 4/30/2013 9:28:59 AM | #031
I find it interesting that the "God told me to kill my children" is a defense in the bible, but most people nowadays who are christian will not take that as an excuse.

As an excuse for killing children? Well, to be fair, God did stop Abraham, and Christians would argue that God would never actually make anyone follow through with the command, but would only test to see if they would do it if He commanded. I personally think that's twisted as ****, but it makes sense: God never let Abraham actually go through with it.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#34ryan0991Posted 5/2/2013 10:34:19 PM
Surely indori has more than just that flimsy case. Something more modern perhaps?

He did claim that there is evidence of miracles even today.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#35GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/9/2013 1:09:26 AM
You're right, there's no way to prove that a piece of bread became that piece of heart tissue, which never decayed or spoiled over the course of 1200-1300 years despite a distinct lack of preservative measures.

Why do you believe this, rather than someone replacing the bread? Or someone lying?
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.