This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lawsuit against school for mandatory Christian assembly

#1darkmaian23Posted 4/28/2013 10:44:00 AM
http://humanistlegalcenter.org/news/legal-center-files-suit-over-christian-assemblies-at-rankin-county-schools-2/

The Appignani Humanist Legal Center learned from Northwest Rankin High School students that a mandatory assembly was held during school hours on April 9 where a representative of the Pinelake Baptist Church spoke of finding “hope” in “Jesus Christ.”

According to students present, those who attempted to leave were prevented from doing so. At the end of the presentation, the speakers led the students in a Christian prayer.

Discuss.
#2SuibomPosted 4/28/2013 10:50:51 AM
What's to discuss?

Seems like a pretty clear-cut case of a school breaking the rules.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 4/28/2013 11:40:17 AM
If true, the school will lose the lawsuit, and rightfully so.
#4darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 12:01:58 PM
The fact that this kind of event got organized and people believed in it strongly enough to prevent people from leaving indicates that at least some people think this is a good thing. We have a number of Christians who post here, and I'm curious if any of them will defend what the school was doing.
#5SuibomPosted 4/28/2013 12:15:33 PM
Of course I think preaching the gospel is a good thing.

To force people to listen isn't.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#6mikmalotPosted 4/28/2013 12:25:54 PM
darkmaian23 posted...
The fact that this kind of event got organized and people believed in it strongly enough to prevent people from leaving indicates that at least some people think this is a good thing. We have a number of Christians who post here, and I'm curious if any of them will defend what the school was doing.

Nope, this is a terrible idea.

1) it's a clear violation of the separation of church and state.
2) forcing your religious views on others is not okay
3) a Baptist church led the assembly, so I can almost guarantee you their theology was terrible and warped
---
Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he wants another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.
#7darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 1:04:01 PM
mikmalot posted...
darkmaian23 posted...

3) a Baptist church led the assembly, so I can almost guarantee you their theology was terrible and warped

What do you have against Baptist teachings? I was raised as one, so I'm genuinely curious. Thanks for the reply!
#8CorporateKnightPosted 4/28/2013 3:03:49 PM
darkmaian23 posted...
mikmalot posted...
darkmaian23 posted...

What do you have against Baptist teachings? I was raised as one, so I'm genuinely curious. Thanks for the reply!

Low Church Protestantism has little-to-no theological seriousness.
#9Magic_SwordsmanPosted 4/28/2013 6:01:08 PM
What is theological seriousness and what makes the Baptist church not theologically serious?
#10DarkContractorPosted 4/28/2013 6:03:25 PM(edited)
I love how prideful non solo scriptura people tend to be

even though solo scriptura is the only correct way to approach theology
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya