This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Godless congregations"

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. "Godless congregations"
3 years ago#1
http://www.salon.com/2013/04/28/dont_stop_believin_do_atheists_need_a_church/

Atheists are starting to gather in their own churches. Interesting stuff.
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
3 years ago#2
Godless Congregation sounds like a black metal band.

I don't know, though. Seems unnecessary. I'm really opposed to people going out and doing stuff. I want everyone to just sit inside, watch some tv, and wait to die. Exerting effort to gather like this seems to be, in my opinion, an attempt to make a statement such as "Hey look, we're atheists! Look at us! LOOOOK!"
For Amuro, this is the first time he's noticed the scent of a woman.
3 years ago#3
ElderMisanthropy posted...
Godless Congregation sounds like a black metal band.

I don't know, though. Seems unnecessary. I'm really opposed to people going out and doing stuff. I want everyone to just sit inside, watch some tv, and wait to die. Exerting effort to gather like this seems to be, in my opinion, an attempt to make a statement such as "Hey look, we're atheists! Look at us! LOOOOK!"

that
3 years ago#4
I've said, when you become a card-carrying, dues-paying member of the American Society of Antiphilately, not collecting stamps does become a hobby.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
3 years ago#5
Boy. I can think of some things that are more unappealing, but many of them are cartoonish in their suckage
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
3 years ago#6
How is this different from UU?
Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he wants another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.
3 years ago#7
After reading it, it seems it's more about getting the social benefits of church rather than WOOO ATHEISM RULES.
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
3 years ago#8
I think the potential downsides of this could outweigh whatever good comes out of it. I for one don't want to see atheism become dogmatic. Although this article seems to be about taking the best ideas from religion. Still...not sure this is a great idea. Depends how it turns out.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
(message deleted)
3 years ago#10
This... This is not for me.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. "Godless congregations"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived