This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Godless congregations"

#11DarkContractorPosted 4/29/2013 11:25:51 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

stupid political correctness

i think these congregation things are dumb
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#12LosingStreak06Posted 4/29/2013 12:05:12 PM
ElderMisanthropy posted...
Exerting effort to gather like this seems to be, in my opinion, an attempt to make a statement such as "Hey look, we're atheists! Look at us! LOOOOK!"

Your opinion seems to have been formed without having actually read the article.

Faust_8 posted...
After reading it, it seems it's more about getting the social benefits of church rather than WOOO ATHEISM RULES.

Indeed, I daresay it's about time atheists started doing things properly.
---
Show me your might! Give me your best shot!
You call this a fight? I said your best shot!
#13SilviiroPosted 4/29/2013 2:21:29 PM
Godless Congregation sounds like a black metal band.

Weren't they trying to get heavy metal recognized as a religion somewhere? Having a weekly metal concert makes a whole lot more sense than an atheist stylization of a religious worship service.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#14ElderMisanthropyPosted 4/29/2013 6:57:40 PM
Silviiro posted...
Godless Congregation sounds like a black metal band.

Weren't they trying to get heavy metal recognized as a religion somewhere? Having a weekly metal concert makes a whole lot more sense than an atheist stylization of a religious worship service.

Yes, they were trying to get heavy metal recognized as a religion in the UK, and it apparently worked: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/heavy_metal_officially_a_religion.html
---
For Amuro, this is the first time he's noticed the scent of a woman.
#15GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/1/2013 12:46:13 AM
Don't see anything wrong with making the system work for you. Atheism's a nice to flag to fly under, since it doesn't do anything or require much effort.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#16SSj4WingzeroPosted 5/2/2013 7:25:07 AM
This takes the whole "Is atheism a religion" question to a whole new level.

It might not fit the strict definition, but if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#17DeadPresidents2Posted 5/2/2013 7:48:36 AM
SSj4Wingzero posted...

It might not fit the strict definition, but if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

I don't think that atheism can ever really be considered a "religion".

But I do think that atheists can be religious in their views.

If that makes sense...
---
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
#18chareyPosted 5/3/2013 6:36:29 AM
...why? I mean if you don't believe in god there are better thing to do then go to a "atheist church" I can see having a gathering place every week but why a church not something like a country club?
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#19SSj4WingzeroPosted 5/3/2013 9:56:18 PM
DeadPresidents2 posted...
SSj4Wingzero posted...

I don't think that atheism can ever really be considered a "religion".

But I do think that atheists can be religious in their views.

If that makes sense...

Hell, I feel as if overly-vociferous atheists who attempt to deconvert people are best described as evangelicals. Atheism might not fit the letter of the word religion, but if it's a belief behind which people congregate, asserts something with regards to a higher power, and even has a designated place of 'worship' so to speak...it's going to be a lot more annoying to deflect the accusation that atheism is just another religion out there.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#20GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/3/2013 11:03:24 PM
...why? I mean if you don't believe in god there are better thing to do then go to a "atheist church" I can see having a gathering place every week but why a church not something like a country club?

Benefits.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.