This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Godless congregations"

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. "Godless congregations"
3 years ago#11
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

stupid political correctness

i think these congregation things are dumb
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
3 years ago#12
ElderMisanthropy posted...
Exerting effort to gather like this seems to be, in my opinion, an attempt to make a statement such as "Hey look, we're atheists! Look at us! LOOOOK!"

Your opinion seems to have been formed without having actually read the article.

Faust_8 posted...
After reading it, it seems it's more about getting the social benefits of church rather than WOOO ATHEISM RULES.

Indeed, I daresay it's about time atheists started doing things properly.
Show me your might! Give me your best shot!
You call this a fight? I said your best shot!
3 years ago#13
Godless Congregation sounds like a black metal band.

Weren't they trying to get heavy metal recognized as a religion somewhere? Having a weekly metal concert makes a whole lot more sense than an atheist stylization of a religious worship service.
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
3 years ago#14
Silviiro posted...
Godless Congregation sounds like a black metal band.

Weren't they trying to get heavy metal recognized as a religion somewhere? Having a weekly metal concert makes a whole lot more sense than an atheist stylization of a religious worship service.

Yes, they were trying to get heavy metal recognized as a religion in the UK, and it apparently worked: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/heavy_metal_officially_a_religion.html
For Amuro, this is the first time he's noticed the scent of a woman.
3 years ago#15
Don't see anything wrong with making the system work for you. Atheism's a nice to flag to fly under, since it doesn't do anything or require much effort.
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
3 years ago#16
This takes the whole "Is atheism a religion" question to a whole new level.

It might not fit the strict definition, but if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
3 years ago#17
SSj4Wingzero posted...

It might not fit the strict definition, but if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

I don't think that atheism can ever really be considered a "religion".

But I do think that atheists can be religious in their views.

If that makes sense...
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
3 years ago#18
...why? I mean if you don't believe in god there are better thing to do then go to a "atheist church" I can see having a gathering place every week but why a church not something like a country club?
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
3 years ago#19
DeadPresidents2 posted...
SSj4Wingzero posted...

I don't think that atheism can ever really be considered a "religion".

But I do think that atheists can be religious in their views.

If that makes sense...

Hell, I feel as if overly-vociferous atheists who attempt to deconvert people are best described as evangelicals. Atheism might not fit the letter of the word religion, but if it's a belief behind which people congregate, asserts something with regards to a higher power, and even has a designated place of 'worship' so to speak...it's going to be a lot more annoying to deflect the accusation that atheism is just another religion out there.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
3 years ago#20
...why? I mean if you don't believe in god there are better thing to do then go to a "atheist church" I can see having a gathering place every week but why a church not something like a country club?

Benefits.
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. "Godless congregations"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived