This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, this should end a lot of arguments.

#1squareandrarePosted 4/29/2013 4:33:57 PM
Religious beliefs are neither "supernatural" nor "unsubstantiated." To suggest otherwise is trolling.

Straight from an admin.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#2OrangeWizardPosted 4/29/2013 4:36:28 PM
Huh...

I believe in the "supernatural", in the sense that God is supernatural.

I don't know that means that my beliefs are "supernatural" or not.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#3kozlo100Posted 4/29/2013 4:42:01 PM
In what context did the admin say this? There are kind of a lot of ways to parse that first bit.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4ThuggernautzPosted 4/29/2013 4:42:36 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Huh...

I don't know that means that my beliefs are "supernatural" or not.

This. The beliefs themselves are not supernatural, but the religion most certainly describes a supernatural deity. An unsubstantiated one, at that. ;)
#5squareandrare(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 4:44:34 PM

That's what was so strange about this back-and-forth... not even religious people would deny that they believe the supernatural exists. And a religious person who believes because of faith shouldn't even deny that they are "unsubstantiated," at least by the dictionary definition of the word.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#6squareandrare(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 4:50:20 PM
In what context did the admin say this? There are kind of a lot of ways to parse that first bit.

Here's the entire admin's response:

"All we ask is for tolerance. Mockery of those who don't believe the same thing that you do will not be tolerated. Don't refer to their beliefs as "supernatural". You're only doing it to be an ass, anyway."

A previous moderator took issue with "unsubstantiated."

It was in regards to my message in this topic:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/66014742

The message got deleted, but it got quoted, so you can see what I wrote.
---
-- Leon Lederman
#7kozlo100Posted 4/29/2013 4:50:53 PM
I can see the gripe about 'unsubstantiated'. Dictionary definitions are one thing, but colloquially most people take the word to mean 'with out reason'. Very few people of any stripe think such a descriptor applies to their beliefs.
---
#8black spiderPosted 4/29/2013 4:52:49 PM
Well, if an admin said it then it has to be true, because admins can actually tell their heads from their asses.
---
You want to try your hand at proving why genocide is inherently bad? - OrangeWizard
#9kozlo100Posted 4/29/2013 4:52:58 PM
Ok, yea. Seems like the mod was reading a lot more into that than was there. A more thoughtful response would've been nice.
---
#10squareandrare(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 5:01:31 PM
Ok, yea. Seems like the mod was reading a lot more into that than was there. A more thoughtful response would've been nice.

I didn't really expect a thoughtful response since I basically laid into the mods in the appeals. But I never thought I'd get this gem of a response.
---
-- Leon Lederman