This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Job Working With Radio Sermons

#1gamesrgreatPosted 5/1/2013 12:09:46 AM
So I recently got a part-time job working as an archivist and I've been dealing with the radio program the Voice of Prophecy. If you haven't heard of it here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Prophecy

I've been dealing with the stuff under H.M.S. Richard's Sr. and Jr.

This program is a pretty big deal for SDA's especially in NA and California. I grew up hearing of the singers that show up in the program. So far what I do is basically scan in a copy of the sermon that was preached on that date as well as the script for the overall program.

The sermons are fairly interesting and they go over a number of topics such as "Seven Reasons a Scientist Believes in God" and even "God Loves Even the Atheist." I try to read through the sermons while I scan them though I don't read them all. So far it mainly is reaffirming my atheism. I find the material very interesting and somehow I feel like my work is worthwhile. Even though I think most of the stuff the preacher said is wrong, I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile in preserving his legacy.
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#2OrangeWizardPosted 5/1/2013 12:12:08 AM
Good for you.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 5/1/2013 12:31:41 AM
Ooooh, Seventh-day Adventist, eh? I've always been attracted to that Christian domination.

Is there an online stream of the radio programs anywhere, or a way to download them?
#4gamesrgreat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 12:46:52 AM
They have an archive til 1999 on their site of stuff you can listen to

The stuff I'm working with has all been 1969, 1970 that sort of thing

Yeah I'm a former SDA. Most of my friends and family are SDA
---
#5Maverick3000Posted 5/1/2013 5:15:15 AM
Former SDA's unite!
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#6C_MatPosted 5/1/2013 9:47:14 AM
Interesting. I work for a Christian Radio station, although we have a couple SDA programs we don't carry Voice of Prophecy. So, specifically, why is it reaffirming atheism for you?
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#7gamesrgreat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 11:24:54 AM
Well its reaffirming it in that I'm reading an evangelist's arguments and I'm being reminded that I don't agree with what he's saying. The prophecy section was the only one to maybe give me pause. He presents different evidences for Christianity and while the testimonies and prophecies are interesting I find the social commentary and his arguments from the archaeological record to be flimsy. A lot of what he's saying conflicts with what I learned in my Archaeology and Near East/Mediterranean History courses
---
#8Julian_CaesarPosted 5/1/2013 7:45:40 PM
He presents different evidences for Christianity and while the testimonies and prophecies are interesting I find the social commentary and his arguments from the archaeological record to be flimsy. A lot of what he's saying conflicts with what I learned in my Archaeology and Near East/Mediterranean History courses

You'll find that with a lot of apologetics. We're only now coming into a time when apologetics is willing to admit that the Bible was not designed to be a scientific or historical reference book. Whereas in the past most of "apologetics" consisted of trying to use science and history to prove that God exists...not a very fruitful endeavor.

That said, sounds like you're having fun :) which is always the sign of a good job to have
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#9Polish_CrusaderPosted 5/1/2013 7:48:35 PM
Arguments on ancient Archaeology will never get you to the truth about God. Just fyi.

Good stuff on the radio job though. Many thousands of people try so hard and fail to get a radio job.
#10mercuryinkPosted 5/2/2013 4:38:29 AM
That's because to people like you, nothing except obeisance and nodding get anyone anywhere.

Anyway, grg, hope you're enjoying your new gig.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003