This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheists: God does not care if you believe in Him

#61TrollSlayer11Posted 5/3/2013 1:42:15 PM
shipwreckers posted...
He's absolutely right, and I'm not trying to convince you guys one way or the other. All I'm trying to say is that within the scope of the Bible (to people who actually believe the bible), the whole story works. Believe me, I know how that belief would look like brain-dead tunnel-vision to anyone who didn't believe the Bible is true (which, of course takes just as much ASSUMPTION as is is required to accept the scientific implications).

No no no no. NO. Accepting science and accepting the Bible do not take accepting anywhere near as much assumptions. Accepting science requires you to make zero assumptions because it's based on empirical evidence. Believing the Bible requires you to believe in f***ing magic. Why do theists always try to equate trusting science, information, experiments, data, and peer reviewed study, to believing that a 2000 year old book full of inconsistencies, superstition, and magic are the same? NO.

Believing the Bible is like believing in any other religious book or unfalsifiable supernatural claim. If this is your position then it makes just as much sense to be a Hindu as it does to be a Christian.

Once enough evidence is gathered to get the Bible moved from the Religion/Reference section of the library over to the Fiction section, there will be a LOT of happy and relieved scientists out there. Maybe that day will come, but in the meantime, just don't be surprised or angry when people are confident and comfy in their little scripture book.

Another intellectually bankrupt position. "My belief is legitimate because it can't be falsified! *annoying kid voice* Na na na na na na!"

I'm not surprised when people are confident in their little scripture book but I am angry when they ignore all the contrary evidence and reasoning that should dissuade them from believing in it.

---
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. - Ephesians 6:5