This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Honestly Ask Yourself: Do you really want to know the real true God?

#51Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 7:18:55 PM
Faust_8 posted...
It's just a useless poll.

Theists say yes.

Atheists say no, or they say yes IF I wasn't an atheist.

There is a difference between asking "do you want to" and "WOULD you want to."

Would I want to know god? If he was real? Yes, though I can't do that if I don't think he's there, but given the option to learn the truth no matter what it was, I want to know the truth in all areas of my life.

Do I want to know god? It makes no sense to me because it goes against my intellectual honesty to say that I even think there's a god.

-You must have terrible reading comprehension. I said IF there was a god that you could imagine, would you want to know him if he did exist! lol its really not that hard. If there was a god that created every peace of nature and earth around you would you want to know him and what he wants to make him happy and get you into heaven. I never said "IF" you werent an atheist. I never said do you think God is there. I dont care what you think. I care what you really desire in you heart and mind, which this topic is about.

Can i spell it out any better than that, folks?
#52GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/7/2013 8:18:10 PM
I said IF there was a god that you could imagine, would you want to know him if he did exist!

An ideal god would spawn from my imagination, so of course I'd want to meet him. Him being Zordon.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#53Faust_8Posted 5/7/2013 10:06:09 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Faust_8 posted...
It's just a useless poll.

Theists say yes.

Atheists say no, or they say yes IF I wasn't an atheist.

There is a difference between asking "do you want to" and "WOULD you want to."

Would I want to know god? If he was real? Yes, though I can't do that if I don't think he's there, but given the option to learn the truth no matter what it was, I want to know the truth in all areas of my life.

Do I want to know god? It makes no sense to me because it goes against my intellectual honesty to say that I even think there's a god.

-You must have terrible reading comprehension. I said IF there was a god that you could imagine, would you want to know him if he did exist! lol its really not that hard. If there was a god that created every peace of nature and earth around you would you want to know him and what he wants to make him happy and get you into heaven. I never said "IF" you werent an atheist. I never said do you think God is there. I dont care what you think. I care what you really desire in you heart and mind, which this topic is about.

Can i spell it out any better than that, folks?

So let me get this straight:
1) I don't have to assume the existence of god to answer
2) Assume god exists to answer.

-_-

Maybe you just don't know what a "hypothetical if" is. Not to mention that you're using an extremely specific definition of god anyway (ie. yours). All you're doing is asking me a "what if you're wrong" question, but since I'm of this position because I don't think I am...

Anyway, I already said that IF god exists I'd want to know all I could. But then, if Bigfoot exists I'd want to know about that too. I don't see the point, nor does this cover up the inherent shortcomings of this poll.

Not to mention the spelling errors and apparently implying that the whole point of knowing god is to please him so you get heaven later, which makes me think you're profoundly missing the point of your religion.

Finally, let me ask you: if no god exists, would you want to know all about why that is?
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#54Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2013 2:46:19 PM
Take away number 1. And u got it. Assume god exists for the answer.
#55Faust_8Posted 5/8/2013 4:04:28 PM
Do you honestly not see a difference between "assume you're not an atheist" and "assume god exists"?

Because you are apparently saying those are two different things.

Granted, they talk about different things (my personal position vs. the actual state of things) but since if I'm an atheist, the question is pretty darn meaningless. So functionally they are the same thing.

I still have to answer a question...in a way that makes it null and void to me. I would only want to know god IF I thought he was there to know. But if I knew god was there...I'm not an atheist, and pretty much by definition I'd want to know about him (or already would).
---
You are the universe
#56JonWood007Posted 5/8/2013 7:23:07 PM
Yeah, you really don't seem to see the problem with that kind of thinking. Substitute God for robot unicorns. Do the same logic.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#57kozlo100Posted 5/8/2013 8:10:37 PM
Really guys?

Yes, in a world where robot unicorns exist, I want to know them. This is not a difficult question.

You're atheists. Picture a world where you're wrong. Do you want to know you're wrong? This is the answer you should give to the poll. This isn't rocket surgery.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#58Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2013 9:30:31 PM
lol rocket surgery. ill use that one
#59Faust_8Posted 5/8/2013 10:06:28 PM
I already live in a world where I could be wrong...so...?

Unless I can find out that I am, I can't want to know.

I could be wrong about unicorns, but until I actually know they exist, I can't desire to learn about their qualities.

The poll is basically thus:

1) Do you believe in god? Yes? Do you want to know him? Yes? Thank you.
2) Do you believe in god? No? Assume you do. Do you want to know him? Yes? Thank you.
3) Well I done wasted my time, because my 100% yes rate means diddly ****.

I know some answered no but that's because of the uselessness and loaded nature of the poll.
---
You are the universe
#60kozlo100Posted 5/8/2013 11:27:06 PM
Sure man, if complicating simple hypotheticals is what helps you sleep at night, more power to you.

For the some of us others, we take a question like 'I already live in a world where I could be wrong...so...?' and answer: Yes, if I'm living in that world, I would like to know if I'm wrong, even when I think I'm right.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.