This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Track team gets disqualified after runner points to sky to thank God.

#1DarkContractorPosted 5/5/2013 6:15:17 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/03/derrick-hayes-points-to-sky-track-disqualified_n_3208952.html

well, if I'm to understand everything correctly here, it sounds like as far as being a violation of the rules, that's fair and correctly called, but, yeah, the rules need to be changed because this is completely stupid.
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#2SSj4WingzeroPosted 5/5/2013 6:40:41 AM
Is pointing to the sky excessive celebration now? Come on...
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#3DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 6:50:31 AM
well as a rule theyre not supposed to do any sort of celebratory gestures, which a gesture thanking God for the win would fall under. as far as the legality of it goes, yeah, the team was disqualified (well I don't know if this is standard punishment for such an infraction, but it is in fact an infraction). But they need to write an exception into the rules because this is ****ing ridiculous.
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#4OrangeWizardPosted 5/5/2013 8:20:03 AM
And on the sidebar, Antoine Dawson is no longer gay, according to him.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#5JonWood007Posted 5/5/2013 9:44:45 AM
Hmm...I'm mixed over this. ON the one hand, it's stupid, but on the other, I can see why they'd have a rule. It's probably aimed to stop people from bad sportsmanship and rubbing their victories in others' faces. That's my guess at least. I guess even though the gesture is in good will that it still violated the rules. Perhaps they should re-evaluate that rule.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#6SuibomPosted 5/5/2013 10:24:31 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
And on the sidebar, Antoine Dawson is no longer gay, according to him.

Phew! Now we only have to worry about hiding our kids and wives.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#7Moorish_IdolPosted 5/5/2013 11:16:19 AM
I think people should be able to celebrate however they want, even if they want to act like jerks. Don't like it? Don't lose to them next time.
#8DoGCyNPosted 5/5/2013 12:30:20 PM
@Moorish

Assuming you were serious, I don't think people humiliating others and acting like jerks is a good idea. Celebrating and having good sportsmanship is great! ...but why be a dXXX as well? What good comes from that?
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#9Moorish_IdolPosted 5/5/2013 12:47:16 PM
DoGCyN posted...
@Moorish

Assuming you were serious, I don't think people humiliating others and acting like jerks is a good idea. Celebrating and having good sportsmanship is great! ...but why be a dXXX as well? What good comes from that?

It gets rid of the subjective rules that try to determine when celebration is "too much" and are often horribly inconsistent (the NFL is a good example of this).

And if someone is a jerk with their win, it gives you something to work towards -- besting them. I doubt many people would take it so far as to humiliate opponents; but if they did, they'd lose support from audiences and sponsors, so that's on them.

I just don't see the point of hosting competitive events then freaking out when winners give in to emotion.
#10cyclonekrusePosted 5/5/2013 1:53:22 PM
SSj4Wingzero posted...
Is pointing to the sky excessive celebration now? Come on...

This.

As long as they aren't getting in other people's faces about it, let them celebrate.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"