This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A little sidebar about the problem of evil

#1DarkContractorPosted 5/5/2013 6:42:05 PM
Generally, it's accepted that as far as tragedies such as the Holocaust goes, God's lack of intervention has to do with him not interfering with free will. That makes sense. If sin is equal, (which according to James 2, it is) then it stands to reason that God cannot really justifiably stop Hitler without stopping me from masterbating, so that makes sense.

However, this isn't groundbreaking science or anything but we all know we can be predisposed to committing sins psychologically that we otherwise would not commit; what do apologists have to say about that?

http://science.time.com/2013/05/03/evil-brain/?iid=sci-main-lead fascinating article
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#2myzz7Posted 5/5/2013 6:51:42 PM
saw the image at the head of the article and just closed it
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
Gilda doesn't give a flying feather about what you think!
#3DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 6:56:19 PM
why?
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#4JonWood007Posted 5/5/2013 9:11:05 PM
This not only causes issues with free will, but also the eternal soul...if our behaviors are so heavily influenced by the brain, how does the soul fit into it if we even have one (which I doubt we do since we have no evidence of this). I mean, it kinda renders the concept of the soul as an extraneous, unproven element that we then need to account for, and without any evidence...why assume it's there at all?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#5OrangeWizardPosted 5/5/2013 9:19:15 PM
what do apologists have to say about that?

Do they have to say anything about it? Why would they?

It's accepted that we sin unwillingly and accidentally. This isn't a problem.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#6DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 2:19:48 AM
oph yeah, i forgot. God forcing someone to go on murder sprees and sexually assault people then throwing them into a fire (literally) for it is a priori good.
---
#7Far421Posted 5/6/2013 5:40:48 AM
Actually, free will is a red herring with relation to the problem of evil. If an omnipotent, omniscient god exists, he created the universe knowing what we'd use our free will to choose, and selected this universe instead of one where we'd use our free will to choose something else. At the end of the day, he still indirectly chooses our actions.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#8DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 6:55:13 AM
yeah, and a lot of it has to do with our ignorance on certain subjects, also. Like sometimes persecution of 'witches' and their murder seemed justified at the time; while theologically it is immoral, it is regardless a fact that they were genuinely convinced the people they were killing were witches and genuinely convinced they were doing Yahweh's will.
---
#9OrangeWizardPosted 5/6/2013 7:35:50 AM
God forcing someone to go on murder sprees and

Can you prove this?
Can you provide evidence for this?
Can you give me any reason to consider what you say as anything other than a made up lie by an angry angstheist?

he created the universe knowing

Depending on a certain definition of omniscience.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#10DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 7:50:46 AM

Can you prove this?
Can you provide evidence for this?
Can you give me any reason to consider what you say as anything other than a made up lie by an angry angstheist?

Of course I can't prove God's involvement, otherwise I would be a theist. But in the theistic universe, he would have created everything with a purpose, including those murder inducing tumors.

Can you prove God?
Can you provide evidence for God?
Can you give me any reason to consider what you say as anything other than a made up lie by a sophist, gullible theist?

Depending on a certain definition of omniscience.

Omniscience is a logical impossibility etc. Regardless, iirc he does claim to know everyone's past and future.
---