This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bible interpretation is not open to interpretation

#1C_MatPosted 5/13/2013 2:44:40 PM
It's an annoying trend I've noticed in our culture, and it sometimes happens on this board, too.

It's the assumption that, since there are so many denominations in Christianity, it's almost impossible to know what the Bible actually says. This is bullcrap.

Yes, there are multiple interpretations of the Bible. Just because someone else has another interpretation does not mean it's equal, or valid, and it's probably not right. Especially when, as you are probably aware, people love to read their own biases and preferences into the Bible so that it only says what they want.

Side not for Christians: if you never come across something in your Bible reading time that conflicts with your preferences or challenges you...you're probably doing it wrong. That book reflects God's perfection; unless you're perfect yourself, it should contradict you every now and then.

And I am not against denominations. Go to whatever denomination you want, I don't care, but read the Bible for yourself so you learn how to spot the bullcrap.

Back to the main point, though. The Bible is much clearer than people have been led to believe. If the Bible plainly says something like, "Sandwiches 11:38, Peanut butter is brown," then it is completely nonsensical to claim, "The Bibles says peanut butter is not brown, or "The Bible says peanut butter is green," or "The Bible isn't really clear on what color peanut butter is."

Yes, anyone who wants to interpret Sandwiches 11:38 to say that Peanut Butter is not brown certainly has that freedom, but they are wrong. If you disagree with what the Bible says about what color peanut butter is, then fine; but say that. Don't pretend the Bible says something else.

Let me bring this into a more relevant case study than peanut butter. Here's a quote from 1 Corinthians that, for reasons I can't understand, confuses some people:

"Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

I bolded the sentence in question. It plainly says that sexually immoral people will not go to Heaven. (It also plainly says greedy people and thieves will not go to heaven; I am not leaving those other things out, I'm just trying to focus on one specific, simple issue). It is impossible to read this verse and logically conclude, "You can have sex with whoever you want- married or unmarried, opposite gender or same gender- and still go to Heaven without repenting." Yet this is what about half of what Christians in America think.

So for anyone who would like to go to church that will help them go to Heaven instead of Hell, you're welcome. I just knocked out about half of the churches in America for you, which should make it a little easier to figure out where to go. If you want to narrow it down further, please read the Bible for yourself to figure out what it means and find a church that lines up with it.

If you think it should be OK to have sex with whatever gender or marital status you want, and you want to go to a church that makes you feel good about that or marries gay couples or whatever, you're in luck because there are plenty of those. But don't pretend our differences are because you read a "different interpretation" out of the Bible. You are not even reading it at all- and you're deceiving yourself way easier than you're deceiving me.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#2Polish_CrusaderPosted 5/13/2013 2:54:44 PM
I never understood why the bible has to be interpreted in the first place- except for revelation. Im pretty sure the bible was meant to be read as is. If the lord says dont steal, dont murder, dont commit adultery, im pretty sure that means forever and eternally exactly those things. To me the bible is so simple but other people try to complicate it and it makes them frustrated and i dont know why. The bible is suppose to be a simple document to read.
#3BerenPosted 5/13/2013 4:15:39 PM
While there is a trend towards treating any and all subjective 'interpretations' of Scripture as equally valid (which, I think should go without saying, is not correct), there are also reasons why the Scriptures do need to be 'interpreted' in addition to being read 'at face value'--e.g., (i) wording, narrative structures, etc. particular to the culture of the original writers (and not to ours); and (ii) types of Scripture other than straightforward prose (poetry, prophecy, metaphor, etc.). By no means is this to say that all Scripture is open to any interpretation whatsoever, but rather that the Scriptures in their entirety are not always as straightforward as their most direct portions, and therefore do require a more careful reading ('interpretation'). (A verse related to this topic is 2 Peter 3:16.)
---
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; A light from the shadows shall spring.
#4countzanderPosted 5/13/2013 5:13:12 PM
C_Mat posted...
Side not for Christians: if you never come across something in your Bible reading time that conflicts with your preferences or challenges you...you're probably doing it wrong.

God, yes.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#5JonWood007Posted 5/13/2013 5:15:48 PM
The Bible isn't open for debate.

Now I'm going to interpret the Bible and if you disagree you're wrong.

I agree with you to an extent that not all interpretations are equal, but honestly, what makes your interpretation so much better? On What grounds to you interpret the Bible.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#6SilviiroPosted 5/13/2013 5:34:10 PM
Everything has to be interpreted. That "clear" verse you have right there was written in Koine Greek, a dead language. I have a hard time interpreting French sometimes, and I get to practice with native speakers.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#7CorporateKnightPosted 5/13/2013 5:38:04 PM
Silviiro posted...
Everything has to be interpreted. That "clear" verse you have right there was written in Koine Greek, a dead language. I have a hard time interpreting French sometimes, and I get to practice with native speakers.

The Greek Orthodox know how to interpret Koine Greek, they still use it to study Patristics and to celebrate Liturgy.
#8C_Mat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 6:11:42 PM
JonWood007 posted...
The Bible isn't open for debate.

Now I'm going to interpret the Bible and if you disagree you're wrong.

I agree with you to an extent that not all interpretations are equal, but honestly, what makes your interpretation so much better? On What grounds to you interpret the Bible.

Commons sense. Look at my example, where the only verse I "interpreted" was the one from 1 Corinthians. My conclusion was that sexually immoral people will not be allowed into Heaven without repenting, and some of the specific sins I mentioned were adultery, having sex with someone you aren't married to, and having homosexual sex (all three of which were also in that verse).

Do you disagree with my "interpretation" of that verse? I didn't even interpret anything, I basically just read it. So yep, I'd say anyone who interpreted that verse to say, "God doesn't care if you have sex while unmarried or have sex with the same gender, you can go to Heaven anyway," is flat out wrong.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#9SilviiroPosted 5/13/2013 6:12:18 PM
The Greek Orthodox know how to interpret Koine Greek, they still use it to study Patristics and to celebrate Liturgy.

They still aren't native speakers and they still sometimes have disagreements in interpretation, like everyone.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#10SilviiroPosted 5/13/2013 6:13:57 PM
Commons sense. Look at my example, where the only verse I "interpreted" was the one from 1 Corinthians. My conclusion was that sexually immoral people will not be allowed into Heaven without repenting, and some of the specific sins I mentioned were adultery, having sex with someone you aren't married to, and having homosexual sex (all three of which were also in that verse).

See, look how much you're reading into it. Why do you say that the kingdom of God is Heaven?
---