This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didn't protestants make their own "Vatican"?

#11SilviiroPosted 5/19/2013 4:35:30 PM(edited)
Not in theology. Every denomination claims to be the One True Faith/Church, even the non-denominationals. Though, non-denominationalism is Low-Church mild Evangelical "theology", just without a proper Church.

Non-denominational is a descriptor that can be attached to a wide variety of groups that each lack any sort of structure of governance, for example the majority of Reformed Catholic churches or any local "community church" are completely different and not associated with each other. It is a descriptor that can also apply to an individual who does not recognize denominational division and freely worships anywhere they choose, for example Freeman Dyson. Finally it can apply to "unchurched" Christians who do not worship with any denomination yet still identify as Christian.

I could be described as non-denominational in the second sense, though I do not really worship around and am also a total outsider in that I have not been immersed.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#12DagorhaPosted 5/19/2013 4:50:27 PM
Silviiro posted...
Dude, non-denominational is a denomination. smh

That doesn't make any sense. That's like saying "non-Americans are American."

or rather perhaps inflammable means flammable.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#13SilviiroPosted 5/19/2013 5:17:52 PM

Irregardless, don't misunderestimate me.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#14Resident WeevilPosted 5/19/2013 5:29:43 PM
Silviiro posted...

Irregardless, don't misunderestimate me.

Outstanding. XD
---
HP/MP restored!
...but you're still hungry
#15Polish_CrusaderPosted 5/19/2013 5:30:04 PM
CorporateKnight posted...
Silviiro posted...

Not in theology. Every denomination claims to be the One True Faith/Church, even the non-denominationals. Though, non-denominationalism is Low-Church mild Evangelical "theology", just without a proper Church.

-actually this dude is mostly right. We are typically referred to as evangelicals of the bunch. Which is fine. I regrettfully understand that everything needs a label in this world so people can organize it. Right now ND's are sending out the most missionaires so we are the evangelicals really. But to me its like sports, i like good catholics, good protestants, good ND's, good lutherans, good episcopals, its the bad ones of each bunch that are the worst, there is no one apple that represents the rest.
#16SirThinkALotPosted 5/19/2013 5:33:34 PM
CorporateKnight posted...
Silviiro posted...

Not necessarilly. While thats common in nondenominational churches, there are also ones that are more traditional. Although very often they are ones that broke from another denomination.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#17JonWood007Posted 5/19/2013 5:37:32 PM
because the point of the protestant movement goes against the idea of having a vatican? The primary point was to stop having to listen to a bunch of old guys interpret the bible for you and to do it yourself and come up with your own interpretations. Why would they want to have a bunch of people push their own "official" interpretations on you?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#18mrplainswalkerPosted 5/19/2013 8:09:18 PM
bsballa09 posted...
Did Catholics get the structure of Catholic Church from the New Testament? If so, why didn't protestants create their own Catholic Church? Wouldn't not following what the New Testament says be against it?

I could be wrong on this...but one of the whole points of the protestant reformation was the removal of a "vatican-like" thing. They didn't want a new Catholic church. They wanted something different. And it's been awhile since I read the New Testament, but I don't recall anything about a money hoarding city state with a man who claims to be a direct conduit from God, elected by a majority vote...and also Condoms cause AIDS.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#19SirThinkALotPosted 5/19/2013 9:14:57 PM
It should be pointed out that among some Protestants, most notably the Anglican church(aka the Church of England), did re-create the same sort of centralized, hierarchical structure of the Catholic church. Although they didnt go quite as far as creating a 'new/different Vatican.'

And thats part of the problem when talking about 'Protestantism' as a whole. It was never really one movement, it was more like a bunch of seperate movements who's only real commonality was that they no longer wanted to be part of the Catholic church. Martin Luther pretty much kicked it off, but there were other people that saw what he did and decided to leave(and its debatable whether Henry VIII got the idea from Martin Luther, he already had reasons for splitting from the Catholic church). As well as movements that splintered from them, etc.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#20actarusPosted 5/19/2013 11:29:58 PM(edited)
bsballa09 posted...
Did Catholics get the structure of Catholic Church from the New Testament? If so, why didn't protestants create their own Catholic Church? Wouldn't not following what the New Testament says be against it?

No, there is no church for the moment that follow the Biblical structure
And for so far I know has no "prophet" predicted that Francis was the next pope.
We are looking for a church that have apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds[pastors] and teachers
With a bishop that is married and have children,
And elders(presbyters), a manger(for the money),
deacons(male) who are married and have children, and deaconess

None, call themselves Father, Rabbi(Master),Leader (Those titles belong to Christ/God)
The Real Christians are called Saints and they are all members of the body while Christ is the head of Church.

Mat 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for One is your Master, the Christ[Messiah]; and all ye are brethren.
Mat 23:9 And call no man your Father upon the Earth: for One is your Father who is in Heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called Leaders: for One is your Leader, the Christ[Messiah].
Mat 23:11 But he that is greatest among you, shall be your minister[servant].
Mat 23:12 And whoever shall exalt himself, shall be abased;
and whoever that shall humble himself, shall be exalted.

1Co 12:28
And God has set some in the Church, first apostles,
secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, next miracles,
then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of languages.
Eph 4:11 And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, shepherds[pastors] and teachers;

1Ti 3:1 If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desire a good work.
1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre, but patient; not a brawler, not covetous;
1Ti 3:4 One that rule well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

Jas 5:14 Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the Church;
and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Name of the LORD:

1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children, and their own houses well.
Rom 16:1 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a minister[deaconess] of the Church which is at Cenchrea:
Rom 16:2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as it becomes Saints, and that ye assist her in whatever business she has need of you:
for she has been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife,
even as the Christ[Messiah] is the head of the Church: and He is the Saviour of the body.

1Co 12:12 For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of that one body,
being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark