This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is God Good?

#1OrangeWizardPosted 5/20/2013 10:16:19 PM
Is God Good? - Results (79 votes)
Yes
44.3% (35 votes)
No
55.7% (44 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Disconcerting logic time!

1. God is good.
2. God kills a baby
3. Is God good?

Yes or no? There is only one right answer.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#2JonWood007Posted 5/20/2013 10:41:30 PM(edited)
That's a bit of an oversimplification, so I;ll embellish on your example.

1) God is supposedly good (I'm not going to say is good, because his moral worth is dependent on the quality of his actions).

2) God kills a baby.

3a) If God had no valid reason to kill that baby, then God is not good.

3b) If God had a valid reason to kill that baby and demonstrates it (ie, that baby is the next hitler), then God has demonstrated his goodness in this situation.

3c) If God had a valid reason to kill that baby and doesn't tell us why, he may be morally good, but we can't come to this conclusion in the face of lacking evidence. We are forced to conclude that God is not good, because we have established he did what appears to be a heinous act and has not substantiated a valid reason for doing so. God's actual moral quality here doesn't matter, it's the fact that if he is good, we can't substantiate it and that the best logical conclusion is that he is not.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#3GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/20/2013 11:45:49 PM
God defines good, which makes it ok for him to kill babies but not anyone else.

In essence, might makes right.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 5/21/2013 12:12:38 AM
If God is defined as good, then we can't question anything he does. I suppose we have to have good reason to believe he is good though.
#5OrnitierIXPosted 5/21/2013 2:31:04 AM
In the same way that a carrot is a root vegetable.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#6OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 6:10:56 AM
Ouch, 5 people got it wrong so far.
It isn't that hard, guys. It's just logic.
---
#7myzz7Posted 5/21/2013 6:34:24 AM(edited)
The question to me is why God would make his apparent goodness controvertible in a universe were as us, humans, have a conceptional capacity to recognize a separate standard of good apart from God's action in killing that baby. I am not merely appealing to the ability of disagreement, but of proving in a non-contradicting matter why a baby murdered by God is objectionable to His declaration of a good act. Since God is supreme in the tacit understanding of this example, it is He that is at contention with the beings He created in recognizing what is good in the present universe they inhabit.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
Gilda doesn't give a flying feather about what you think!
#8IamvegitoPosted 5/21/2013 6:43:11 AM
1. God is good.
2. God kills a baby
3. Is God good?

Since when is God killing babies? God doesn't take that active of a hand in our lives. Process theology, brah.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#9OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 6:45:07 AM
The question to me is why God would make his apparent goodness controvertible

1. Thanks, I learned a new word today.
2. It isn't his goodness that's controvertible, it's that people will controvert literally anything.

proving in a non-contradicting matter why a baby murdered by God is objectionable

Objectionable by who?
People who will controvert literally anything.
---
#10myzz7Posted 5/21/2013 6:58:25 AM
Objectionable by who?
People who will controvert literally anything.

Objectionable by those who recognize the notion of innocence being violated to the point of non-existence in the act of murdering that baby. Without providing justification in your example, it is the whim of God to dispense his arbitrary power over life, that have done no wrong, that is contradictory on various levels.

Differing opinions do not trump the logical principles in play.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
Gilda doesn't give a flying feather about what you think!