This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is God Good?

#111Slade867Posted 5/23/2013 11:22:12 AM
black spider posted...
kozlo100 posted...
It doesn't have to be. Think of it like a series of math equations, as math is formal logic.
X = Y
X + Z
Does X = Y?

My math is somewhat rusty, but it seems to me that if one sees the above as math equations then X and Y were identical in line one, but then X is modified by +Z in line two while Y is unchanged. At that point, X = Y + Z.

Essentially, if we start out saying that God equals good and we then add baby-killing to God then we're left with the equation that God equals good plus baby-killing. But that doesn't tell us anything about the value of baby-killing, does it?

Very good.
---
Would you rather be a force for good or a force for change?
#112Moorish_IdolPosted 5/23/2013 11:28:18 AM
Spider, your post was going so well until the "No evidence!" stuff. That's exactly why topics like this are needed to demonstrate a problem: If you aren't willing to even acknowledge Christian premises, no worthwhile discussions can be had about their religion or their God.

Also it's awfully ironic that you said "Yes" is the only logical answer, then proceeded to vote "No". And you say theists are being irrational?
#113kozlo100Posted 5/23/2013 12:19:02 PM
black spider posted...
My math is somewhat rusty, but it seems to me that if one sees the above as math equations then X and Y were identical in line one, but then X is modified by +Z in line two while Y is unchanged. At that point, X = Y + Z.

Essentially, if we start out saying that God equals good and we then add baby-killing to God then we're left with the equation that God equals good plus baby-killing. But that doesn't tell us anything about the value of baby-killing, does it?

It's not procedural, like code, it's just three stand alone statements. Well, two and a question. The point is X isn't being changed between lines one and two.

But yea, back in the original problem, we do know two facts about God. That it's good and that it killed a baby. We don't know anything about baby killing except that God did it once.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#114imhungry24-7Posted 5/23/2013 1:10:35 PM
Is God (Someone/something that is undefined) good(something that the definition is relative and subjective)?

Lets look at this with formal logic.

Is X/0 = ∞(infinity)

I find that the whole premise of the logic is false.
---
"Whoah! Where's my Dingus?" -Finn the Human
#115kozlo100Posted 5/23/2013 1:14:04 PM
imhungry24-7 posted...
∞

What symbol were you trying to use there? This forum doesn't render much beyond plain text, which is why we've been clomping around with words instead of proper operators.
---
#116OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 1:32:49 PM
Is God (Someone/something that is undefined) good(something that the definition is relative and subjective)?

God is a thing which is good and killed a baby.
Good is a property that God has.

---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#117Far421Posted 5/23/2013 1:57:47 PM
kozlo100 posted...
kirsybuu posted...
Z is not defined as non-contradictory either.

It doesn't have to be. Think of it like a series of math equations, as math is formal logic.

X = Y
X + Z
Does X = Y?

Z's relation to X and Y being undefined doesn't mean the answer to the question is ambiguous.

Not applicable. X + Z is not a statement at all. "God killed a baby" is one, and I think we can more or less agree on what the words in it mean. "Good", on the other hand, is unclear and undefined. If it is undefined then "God is good" is nonsensical.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#118kozlo100Posted 5/23/2013 2:03:01 PM
Still trying to change the question from what it is to what you want it to be?
---
#119Far421Posted 5/23/2013 2:05:05 PM
Still unable to comprehend the idea of a statement?
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#120OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 2:12:54 PM(edited)
"Good", on the other hand, is unclear and undefined. If it is undefined then "God is good" is nonsensical.

Good is [defined as] a property that God has.

---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive