This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is God Good?

#161Julian_CaesarPosted 5/24/2013 9:00:21 PM
Love this topic. Good to be away for a few days and have such enlightening material to read :)
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#162kirsybuuPosted 5/24/2013 9:53:39 PM(edited)
A couple of statements use the terms 'God', 'Good', 'Kill', and 'Baby', and you assume those terms have a certain meaning, when in reality the TC never intended them to have the meanings you ascribe to them.

Similar to what black spider said, the first post makes no such claim of meaninglessness. If you say that "good" is not defined, then "is", "?", and inference rules are not defined either, thus the entire post is not well-formed and there is no question to answer.

Thus the argument is reduced to the form of a single axiom 'X is Y', and a question of 'Is X is Y true'. It's the simplest tautology with a red herring thrown in.

Again, the ability to derive P does not imply that ~P is impossible to derive unless there is a proof of consistency of the logical system and P is actually well-defined.
---
"sabe que no puede resistir mis encantos sensuales." ~ Poolshark128
#163OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 5:11:08 AM
If you say that "good" is not defined, then "is", "?",

If I could, I'd have used the symbols of formal logic, which are agreed upon and unambiguous.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#164nighthawk16Posted 5/25/2013 11:09:38 AM
I'm wondering what the hell is the point of this topic. Whatever you've sought to demonstrate is pretty meaningless.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#165Kaiser1onePosted 5/25/2013 12:46:04 PM
JonWood007 posted...
That's a bit of an oversimplification, so I;ll embellish on your example.

1) God is supposedly good (I'm not going to say is good, because his moral worth is dependent on the quality of his actions).

2) God kills a baby.

3a) If God had no valid reason to kill that baby, then God is not good.

3b) If God had a valid reason to kill that baby and demonstrates it (ie, that baby is the next hitler), then God has demonstrated his goodness in this situation.

3c) If God had a valid reason to kill that baby and doesn't tell us why, he may be morally good, but we can't come to this conclusion in the face of lacking evidence. We are forced to conclude that God is not good, because we have established he did what appears to be a heinous act and has not substantiated a valid reason for doing so. God's actual moral quality here doesn't matter, it's the fact that if he is good, we can't substantiate it and that the best logical conclusion is that he is not.

I gotta go with this.
---
Why is it that the world can't spell "lose" right???
#166OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 1:42:09 PM(edited)
I'm wondering what the hell is the point of this topic.

That people can't logic.

Like, a LOT of people can't logic

Half the board can't logic.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#167Polish_CrusaderPosted 5/25/2013 2:14:35 PM
I love how nobody gave a reason for why they voted no. lol. the low level of intelligence of some people just amazes me.

If God really hated us dont you think he would destroy us? Why would he hate or do bad to his own creation? We cannot blame god for the evil of other men. What did God ever do to you or any of us?
#168PhoroPosted 5/25/2013 6:08:06 PM
nighthawk16 posted...
I'm wondering what the hell is the point of this topic. Whatever you've sought to demonstrate is pretty meaningless.

This. Since we're all "formal logic" and everything is a symbol and carries no meaning, then why the topic title? Why is this on the religion board if it actually has nothing to do with religion or God?

The topic doesn't actually ask any questions, thus it doesn't actually posit that God is good, or bad, or even exists. So what was the point? Even if every single user played along and voted 'yes'.... what happens next? Does this topic then become irrefutable proof of God being good? No?

Then it seems like this was all one big troll. By the master, no less.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#169Moorish_IdolPosted 5/25/2013 6:18:34 PM
Phoro posted...
nighthawk16 posted...

This. Since we're all "formal logic" and everything is a symbol and carries no meaning, then why the topic title? Why is this on the religion board if it actually has nothing to do with religion or God?

I think it was to demonstrate that, when talking about God, people tend to throw logic out the window and instead focus on their preconceptions and biases for or against the concept of God.
#170PhoroPosted 5/25/2013 6:25:55 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
Phoro posted...
nighthawk16 posted...

I think it was to demonstrate that, when talking about God, people tend to throw logic out the window and instead focus on their preconceptions and biases for or against the concept of God.

I dunno. For me it was more like:

OP:
God is good.
God kills babies.
Is God good?

Me:
It's totally f***ed up that God would kill babies! That's awful! No way can God be good if he kills babies.

A bias for or against the 'concept' of God never entered the equation for me. I just think it's f***ed up to kill babies, period. This 'formal logic' BS is cold and calculated and sounds like something a Vulcan would employ, not compassionate, considerate, humane people.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.