This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Interesting homily from the pope: Culture of encounter

#1kozlo100Posted 5/22/2013 9:55:23 AM
Article: http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/05/22/pope_at_mass:_culture_of_encounter_is_the_foundation_of_peace/en1-694445

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

I like this idea that if everyone just does good, and doesn't worry overmuch where the good is coming from, we'll all get along fine. It sort of speaks to that notion that the best form of proselytization for any faith is just to be a good person.

The rest of the article is a quick read and worth the click I think. Any reactions from the rest of you folks?
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#2Hustle KongPosted 5/22/2013 10:21:04 AM
I was really pleased to read that. He seems like an awfully decent person so far.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3LosingStreak06Posted 5/22/2013 10:46:00 AM
A most pleasing read. Thank you for sharing this.

kozlo100 posted...
It sort of speaks to that notion that the best form of proselytization for any faith is just to be a good person.

It is a shame that many parties, forgive my coughing, do not seem able to grasp this notion in the slightest.
---
Show me your might! Give me your best shot!
You call this a fight? I said your best shot!
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 5/22/2013 10:48:09 AM
Refreshing change from "Repent!" speeches.
#5kozlo100(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2013 12:39:44 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
He seems like an awfully decent person so far.

He does, doesn't he? I think his papacy will end up doing a lot of good for the Church.
---
#6OzymandiasIVPosted 5/22/2013 12:55:42 PM
Article: http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/05/22/pope_at_mass:_culture_of_encounter_is_the_foundation_of_peace/en1-694445

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

I like this idea that if everyone just does good, and doesn't worry overmuch where the good is coming from, we'll all get along fine. It sort of speaks to that notion that the best form of proselytization for any faith is just to be a good person.

The rest of the article is a quick read and worth the click I think. Any reactions from the rest of you folks?

It does sound nice, and it would be wonderful if that's how the religion really operated. The religious leaders may operate like that, but that's not what the religion itself says. If the religion is changed to say that, it's not really the same religion. One of the biggest tenants of Christianity is that you have to believe in and accept Jesus Christ as your savior.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#7Hustle KongPosted 5/22/2013 12:58:28 PM
Nothing is the same anything. Things change. It's ridiculous to hold it against Christianity as if it were not subject to that also.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#8OzymandiasIVPosted 5/22/2013 1:12:57 PM
I realize that things in Christianity change, but such an important thing as "believe in Christ or go to Hell" doesn't seem like one of those things that would change. What kind of support does the Pope have to justify this claim, anyway? Pretty sure these are rules God is supposed to have made up, so what support does he have to say God has different rules now? What happens when his successor says, "No, that's not true"? Too much elasticity is quite problematic for a religion like Christianity.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#9kozlo100(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2013 1:19:59 PM
I don't think the Pope was using 'redeemed' to mean 'getting in to heaven'. I'm not sure exactly what theological ramifications he was indicating by using that word, but it's pretty clear that his main thrust was that being Catholic is not a prerequisite to being a good person.
---
#10Hustle KongPosted 5/22/2013 2:09:05 PM
I realize that things in Christianity change, but such an important thing as "believe in Christ or go to Hell" doesn't seem like one of those things that would change.

There are enough Christians that don't believe in hell that it makes me question how important it really is. It certainly isn't a universal belief of Christians.

And it's hardly a recent thing, either.
---
Shooting Game never die.