This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Interesting homily from the pope: Culture of encounter

#21kozlo100(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 12:00:19 AM
Indori posted...
In short, he isn't supporting universal salvation.

I thought not, but I've been out of the Church long enough to lack the theological chops to explain why. I'm glad you provided some insight into the issue.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#22IndoriPosted 5/23/2013 6:48:43 AM
OzymandiasIV posted...
Never have I heard of redemption through Christ not equating to admittance to the Kingdom of God until now. If this kind of redemption doesn't do anything, then what's the point? Is he saying it's only through this redemption that even those who don't believe can do good? If so, that's even more condescending, but that's not at all the vibe I got from his message.

Objective redemption is what we call the healing between God and humanity that resulted from Christ's sacrifice. It's what made heaven possible. In earthly terms, people who died prior to Christ were not permitted to heaven (typically we say that they were in some kind of sleep). The faucet wasn't turned on. Christ turned the faucet on (on full even!). Everyone has access to the faucet, we just have to drink from it.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#23BerenPosted 5/23/2013 7:00:07 AM
Indori's explanation aside, it seems the homily could have been phrased more clearly to avoid this confusion, especially given that the Pope's statements are sure to be read by many people without the same familiarity with the the underlying Catholic teachings.
---
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; A light from the shadows shall spring.
#24kts123Posted 5/23/2013 7:27:52 AM
If that's the case then the Pope has done a wonderful job teaching Catholicism. What better way to get people digging than to throw them something that challenges their conceptions?
#25Julian_CaesarPosted 5/24/2013 10:29:01 PM
If that's the case then the Pope has done a wonderful job teaching Catholicism. What better way to get people digging than to throw them something that challenges their conceptions?

Hadn't thought of it that way, but that's an excellent observation.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.