This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If God is so smart that we lack the proper wisdom to question him....

#1JonWood007Posted 5/23/2013 11:18:25 PM(edited)
....why even discuss religion at all? I mean, I know recently when I try to have a serious discussion about God, particularly in the context of morality (although it obviously applies to things beyond that as well), I'm told that I'm not smart enough to criticize such things because God is obviously wiser than me, and if I disagree with God I'm automatically wrong.

However, doesn't this line of thinking do nothing but suppress debate? Do people who use this line of thinking actually want to have a serious discussion about God and morality? Or are they more interested in shoving their ideas down our throats and saying they're right and we're wrong, end of story?

What's the purpose of even having a religion message board, or discussing religion, if any question can be answered by "God has the answers, you don't, and if you disagree you're wrong because God is smarter than you"? After all, any opinion or viewpoint we come up with is wrong, and the answers to any questions we come up with is an open and shut case.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#2Polish_CrusaderPosted 5/24/2013 4:08:47 AM
Theres a difference between questioning God on why something is. And questioning something God already said that you know of just to be rebellious. It all depends on your heart behind the question.

Abraham questioned God about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18:22-33) before it happened, and God answered all of his questions except the last one. I think those questions actually might haved save the two cities had any righteous people been in the city besides lot. God likes it when you seek him earnestly, not when you argue over stuff that you do not like and/or are uncomfortable with.

My basic response is the same- if you want to find out about God why not just ask the questions that you need, as opposed to debating and arguing? Or why not research God yourself personally through the bible and prayer? Dont even bother saying that you already did that, because having one or two unanswered prayers and quitting means you were weak minded and didnt want to have faith. Especially if its over a romantic interest.
#3Dathrowed1Posted 5/24/2013 5:50:58 AM
JonWood007 posted...
....why even discuss religion at all? I mean, I know recently when I try to have a serious discussion about God, particularly in the context of morality (although it obviously applies to things beyond that as well), I'm told that I'm not smart enough to criticize such things because God is obviously wiser than me, and if I disagree with God I'm automatically wrong.

However, doesn't this line of thinking do nothing but suppress debate? Do people who use this line of thinking actually want to have a serious discussion about God and morality? Or are they more interested in shoving their ideas down our throats and saying they're right and we're wrong, end of story?

What's the purpose of even having a religion message board, or discussing religion, if any question can be answered by "God has the answers, you don't, and if you disagree you're wrong because God is smarter than you"? After all, any opinion or viewpoint we come up with is wrong, and the answers to any questions we come up with is an open and shut case.

LOL
---
sig
#4SuibomPosted 5/24/2013 7:23:04 AM(edited)
Jon, can you show how you have the necessary qualities to judge the actions of a Being, based on what is written of Him, who is omni-scient/potent/present and eternal, based on what is written of Him?

Why are you qualified to?
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#5Hustle KongPosted 5/24/2013 7:30:25 AM
The way I personally see it, I'm perfectly qualified to judge a beings actions as being either helpful or harmful to me. But I really think it's a mistake either way to make moral judgements on non-human intelligences.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6EzeDoesItPosted 5/24/2013 7:32:05 AM
JonWood007 posted...

Because God.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibq5dtkuP7NDIM.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibzW4LeLuR2Z2U.gif
#7GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/24/2013 7:34:23 AM
Y'know there are religions that don't involve bible-god that can be discussed, too. Don't exclude.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#8OrangeWizardPosted 5/24/2013 7:58:16 AM
However, doesn't this line of thinking do nothing but suppress debate?

Should we instead, cherry-pick the qualities of God until he is defined in such a way that leaves him open to debate?
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive
#9Faust_8Posted 5/24/2013 8:02:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10Dathrowed1Posted 5/24/2013 8:16:54 AM
Faust_8 posted...
You deserve a cussing out.

But I guess I'll have to settle with pointing out that you only believe because you're so "weak minded" that you need a permanent daddy figure that promises rewards.

You can't hack being responsible for yourself so you mentally stayed in elementary school, just like your parents and most of the people you know.

Come on man, you are better than this dude. There's no reason to act like that dog.
---
sig