This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pope Francis says righteous atheists are saved

#11bkillaPosted 5/24/2013 5:50:29 PM
no thanks. I don't think everlasting heaven sounds interesting. I can be a good person without having to be forced into your "heaven".
---
By evolving consciousness, nature has become conscious of itself.
#12AynRandySavagePosted 5/24/2013 5:53:11 PM
C_Mat posted...
Faust_8 posted...
Polish_Crusader posted...
And you wonder why the catholic church has been going down in recent decades.

John 14:6

^ Read it folks ^

Look at this armchair theologian who thinks he knows better than the Pope.

Don't you also think you know better than the Pope? Last I checked, you aren't Catholic.

I think the pope knows a lot more about theology than any of us. It's just that atheists/agnostics deny or doubt the validity of theology as an enterprise.
#13GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/24/2013 9:19:00 PM
I wish they would use non-synonymous words when they wanted to say different things.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#14Burning_WolfXPosted 5/24/2013 9:56:33 PM(edited)
GuideToTheDark posted...
I wish they would use non-synonymous words when they wanted to say different things.

They are non-synonymous... Outside of a Protestant context. IOW, outside the context of a relatively small branch of Christianity that is far younger than every other branch.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#15Julian_CaesarPosted 5/24/2013 9:56:34 PM
I don't think the Pope was claiming to know as well as God which categories of people will "go to heaven" in the end. I myself adhere to the possibility that people who call themselves "atheists" are often rejecting a "theism" that bears little resemblance to the Good News of Jesus Christ. And I suspect this is what Pope Francis is getting at, that we need to think less about the labels we attach to our beliefs and think more about how to accomplish the good ends of those beliefs. And to work side-by-side with those whose spiritual fate is not so simple as whether they are called "atheist" or "Christian."

At least, I hope that's what he was getting at.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#16hamsandwich3141Posted 5/25/2013 12:51:17 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...

Redeemed and saved are like opposites when it comes to arcade tokens though. Kind of funny.
---
She went after her kids with super love, they turned into drugs. - LastManStanding
#17Wandering__HeroPosted 5/25/2013 2:21:55 AM(edited)

^ Read it folks ^

You trust Last Man Standing more than the Pope?

Oh dear....

I thought Crusader was Catholic, or at least claimed to be, which would make this flat out hilarious.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
Official Generic Village Girl of the FE13 board
#18actarusPosted 5/25/2013 3:29:21 AM(edited)
Burning_WolfX posted...
Outside of a Protestant context. IOW, outside the context of a relatively small branch of Christianity that is far younger than every other branch.

Christianity have seven branches (better known as the seven Churches of Revelation) but only Smyrna, Philadelphia and a part of Sardis are faithful.
They are not the majority.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#19bratt100Posted 5/25/2013 8:29:23 AM
Wandering__Hero posted...

^ Read it folks ^

You trust Last Man Standing more than the Pope?

Oh dear....

I thought Crusader was Catholic, or at least claimed to be, which would make this flat out hilarious.

Another way he tried to seperate the two identities.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#20bratt100Posted 5/25/2013 8:33:49 AM
actarus posted...
Burning_WolfX posted...
Outside of a Protestant context. IOW, outside the context of a relatively small branch of Christianity that is far younger than every other branch.

Christianity have seven branches (better known as the seven Churches of Revelation) but only Smyrna, Philadelphia and a part of Sardis are faithful.
They are not the majority.

And 41 000 denominations.
*goes and buys a lotto ticket*

* bases whole life on the odd chance that the ticket is a winner even though the numbers have already been drawn*

*puts fingers in ears anytime somebody tries to tell him the winning numbers*
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape