This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Neuroscientist says religious fundamentalism maybe a treatable mental illness.

#1DarkContractorPosted 6/3/2013 7:52:06 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/kathleen-taylor-religious-fundamentalism-mental-illness_n_3365896.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#2bratt100Posted 6/3/2013 8:11:08 PM
One can hope. It's quite obvious that it's a mental condition.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#3rick alveradoPosted 6/3/2013 8:12:19 PM
Wow, that's actually pretty scary stuff. The article talks about undoing brainwashing, but the same techniques could also theoretically be used for causing brainwashing. Not to mention the difficulty in determining what the difference even is.
---
"Where's Conrad's nipple?" Jared Penner
#4Julian_CaesarPosted 6/3/2013 9:33:32 PM
rick alverado posted...
Wow, that's actually pretty scary stuff. The article talks about undoing brainwashing, but the same techniques could also theoretically be used for causing brainwashing. Not to mention the difficulty in determining what the difference even is.

Bingo :)
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#5kozlo100Posted 6/3/2013 9:42:06 PM
There is a line to this sort of thing.

It's kind of tangential, but I was also recently listening to a podcast that was talking about that 'God helmet' thing. The one that stimulates certain areas of the brain and cause folks to have what they report as religious experiences.

The guys on the podcast were acting as if that was a done deal. These experiences are simply a result of biology, and not indicative of anything greater.

My thought was that if you build a hat that can stimulate my brain and make me think I'm seeing a fork, does that mean I've never seen a fork? That forks aren't real? It just doesn't seem as easy as all that to me.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#6bratt100Posted 6/3/2013 11:45:22 PM
I have a hard time seeing what could be wrong with this. Fundamentalism is rather extreme anyway and teaching reality doesn't really seem like a bad thing. I don't think that the goal is to eliminate religious beliefs but to eliminate extreme and in many cases idiotic beliefs that are harmful to society.

I think it's rather easy to determine what is extreme and detrimental...is it a form of thought police? Kinda but I think in some cases that can be a good thing. Should you be able to preach hate? No. Should you be able to teach things contrary to what we can measure and see? Sure why not, after they are 18 and can make that decision for themselves.

Of course my ideas are probably seen as extreme to many of you and I would maybe be a victim of such a policy myself.
---
"If the victim was a mute, then she shouldn't really be out alone."- OrangeWizard on rape
#7GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/4/2013 12:13:00 AM
I'd quite like to see someone attempt to show his faith is stronger than this godkiller device and use it.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#8myzz7Posted 6/4/2013 6:41:16 AM(edited)
Couldn't the same logic be applied to transsexuals or any other "fringe" group?

This is the same type of rhetoric I've seen from the 60's and 70's when homosexuality and transsexualism were in the psychology books as a mental disease. It wasn't until a mass of people protested against these derogatory definitions that it was thrown out and not due to a discovery of evidence for a correction on those definitions (not that I am implying that homosexuality and transsexualism is still a disease). The point I'm making is that when a group, such as Christian fundamentalism, falls into the minority it is much easier to use a pretense of knowledge, festooned in scientific terms, to denounce them through suggestion and individual cases of radical behavior.
---
http://s10.postimage.org/mxioonsd1/gildavatar.gif
Gilda doesn't give a flying feather about what you think!
#9CaptainKOPosted 6/4/2013 8:54:17 AM
Religious Fundamentalism are either Obsessive Compulsive, Narcissistic (messiah or superiority complex related), or Sociopathic. There is no rhyme or reason, they just lack emotion or are detached from society.
---
http://captainko.deviantart.com/
#10CaptainKOPosted 6/4/2013 8:57:00 AM
rick alverado posted...

Depends on how long the person has been exposed to religion. If they were born into a cult or the wrong teachings, they may never able to undo the brain washing unless they go through a self-discovery or a moment of enlightenment. However, it's much easier to undo the effects of these teachings, If they only been in it a few years.
---
http://captainko.deviantart.com/