This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, the Book of Mormon

#1WarlockQuanPosted 6/7/2013 4:18:21 PM
I'll dispense with a long explanation. Essentially, I'm moving to Salt lake City...mecca of Mormonism (sorry. I hope people get the reference). I've been trying to read the Book of Mormon but I'll be honest folks, it's just difficult to wade through. No offense to LDS peeps out there but it's a real chore for me. Is there an abridged version or cliff notes or videos or something so I can more quickly disseminate the information? It's unfortunate that there are not other versions/translations like the Bible.
---
People's morals get in the way of your humanity.
#2kirbyparufoPosted 6/7/2013 4:47:54 PM
You could just read the chapter headings, although that is probably too abridged. >_>
---
I stink at video games. :D
Proud to be EPic.
#3WarlockQuan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 5:15:15 PM
It's difficult and I'm not sure if that's for the right reasons.
---
#4PhoroPosted 6/7/2013 8:09:31 PM
If it's something you don't care to read, why are you trying to read it? I lived in a part of Utah whose residents are far more likely to be Mormon than those in SLC (which is a pretty damn diverse, secular city by the way) for over 10 years and never felt the need to read the Book of Mormon.

---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#5WarlockQuan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 10:24:15 AM
To understand the culture fully.
---
#6countzanderPosted 6/8/2013 10:56:27 AM
Mormonism for Dummies?
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#7bratt100Posted 6/8/2013 4:13:29 PM
countzander posted...
Mormonism for Dummies?

Isn't that just Mormonism?
#8DarkContractorPosted 6/8/2013 6:27:08 PM
Mormons believe that the Ascension happened in Missouri

i just always feel like pointing that out in any Mormon related topic
---
"If God exists why did I stub my toe this morning?" - Me "Well If God doesnt exist how do we bacon CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" - TheRealJiraiya
#9PhoroPosted 6/8/2013 7:37:31 PM
WarlockQuan posted...
To understand the culture fully.

I'd recommend talking to people. Mormons have a, uh, knack for being very talkative about their religion... chances are they'll come to you, actually. Like, to your door. XD
My lifelong best friend is Mormon. He's taught me quite a bit about the faith, and I've never even opened the book.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#10Fuzzy_PicklesPosted 6/8/2013 7:45:09 PM
DarkContractor posted...
Mormons believe that the Ascension happened in Missouri

i just always feel like pointing that out in any Mormon related topic

We do? That's news to me. We don't usually refer to it specifically as "the Ascension," but we believe, like most other Christians, that Christ ascended to heaven in his apostles' presence after his resurrection.

We also believe that ascension wasn't permanent, but rather he later visited his believers in the Americas. We don't really know where in the Americas, but I guess it could have been in modern day Missouri. Your guess is as good as mine.