This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, the Book of Mormon

#41Imperator420Posted 7/3/2013 11:48:18 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#42Imperator420Posted 7/3/2013 11:51:08 PM
Fuzzy_Pickles posted...
mr_brain123 posted...
Just watch the South Park episode that deals with John Smith and the book of Mormon. That episode pretty much sums up any questions you will have in regards to Mormonism

Yes, like how the Colbert Report answers any questions I might have about current events.

Well, current events are a serious matter, of which Colbert Report offers a silly representation. Mormonism is silly to begin with.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#43Cornelious32Posted 7/10/2013 8:39:52 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Alright, sorry. Mormons believe that Joseph Smith returned them to the angel who showed him where to find them in the first place. Unfalsifiable, I know, but it's the only account anyone has about what happened to them

According to Wikipedia, he placed them inside of a cave

After translation was complete, Smith said he returned the plates to the angel, although he did not elaborate about this experience.[130] According to accounts by several early Mormons, a group of Mormon leaders including Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and possibly others[131] accompanied Smith and returned the plates to a cave inside the Hill Cumorah.[132] There, Smith is said to have placed the plates on a table near "many wagon loads" of other ancient records, and the Sword of Laban hanging on the cave wall.[133] According to Brigham Young's understanding, which he said he gained from Cowdery, on a later visit to the cave, the Sword of Laban was said to be unsheathed and placed over the plates, and inscribed with the words "This sword will never be sheathed again until the kingdoms of this world become the kingdom of our God and his Christ."[134]

Though this could have been his way of returning it to the angel.

But if you were to show that those uninteresting historical details were untrue, what would that say about the rest of the Book of Mormon?

It doesn't work both ways. Something that may serve as a disproof may not, when found true, serve as proof.

it's fascinating how many things Joseph Smith got right that he shouldn't have even known about).

Such as? I have no clue about the details of what was written. I've only see that "mormon jesus" M.C. Hammer video

Youre trying to prove you know the BofM is a joke/wrong and you dont even know what is written inside?
#44PhoroPosted 7/11/2013 4:46:16 AM
Cornelious32 posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
Alright, sorry. Mormons believe that Joseph Smith returned them to the angel who showed him where to find them in the first place. Unfalsifiable, I know, but it's the only account anyone has about what happened to them

But if you were to show that those uninteresting historical details were untrue, what would that say about the rest of the Book of Mormon?

It doesn't work both ways. Something that may serve as a disproof may not, when found true, serve as proof.

it's fascinating how many things Joseph Smith got right that he shouldn't have even known about).

Such as? I have no clue about the details of what was written. I've only see that "mormon jesus" M.C. Hammer video

Youre trying to prove you know the BofM is a joke/wrong and you dont even know what is written inside?

Yup. Isn't it fun how OW can do this to Mormons but no one can do it to him and his beliefs?

I mean, you can try, but his canned response usually has something to do with X not equalling Y if A and B are eating Z.

Or whatever.
---
What she asked of me, at the end of the day...
Caligula would have blushed.
#45JonWood007Posted 7/11/2013 9:10:35 AM
Moorish_Idol posted...
Wait. Jesus had believers in America before he arrived there? How?

Faith.

Anyway, there's a nice south park episode that sums up mormonism, but I'm not about to link it because the last time I linked south park on gamefaqs I got modded. So, look it up yourself.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768