This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Fear of Death Makes People Into Believers (of Science)"

#1kts123Posted 6/7/2013 9:42:33 PM(edited)
Well this is awkward news for a lot of people.

For the new work, researchers stayed away from foxholes. Instead, they focused on another stressful—yet significantly less dire—activity: competitive rowing. The scientists recruited 100 rowers mostly in their 20s who lacked strong religious commitments, as determined by a questionnaire. The scientists broke the athletes into two groups. One was about to race in a regatta; the other was preparing for a less stressful training session. Both groups were asked whether they agreed with statements such as: "We can only rationally believe in what is scientifically provable," "All the tasks human beings face are soluble by science," and "The scientific method is the only reliable path to knowledge."

Not surprisingly, the athletes who were getting ready to compete reported higher anxiety levels. They were also about 15% more likely to express a strong belief in science than their less stressed colleagues, a statistically significant difference.

The authors then go on to suggest that people do, in fact, use science as an emotional security blanket. The awkwardness is thick enough to cut with a sharp spoon. Yup.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/06/fear-of-death-makes-people-into-.html
#2SirThinkALotPosted 6/7/2013 9:46:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 9:49:17 PM
"That modern secular individuals are prone to cling on to beliefs about science, in the same way that their ancestors turned to the gods," they write in their paper, "carries no judgment on the value of science as a method but simply highlights the human motivation to believe."

The deliciousness of this stuff is hard to describe.
#4JonWood007Posted 6/7/2013 9:59:57 PM
...so...what's your point?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#5Faust_8Posted 6/7/2013 10:00:14 PM
"Beliefs" about science? You don't have to believe anything about science. That's the entire point of it.

So if you're trying to prove that reflecting on certain facts can help you deal with stress...I don't see your point.
---
Faust_8: You're one hallucination away from murder.
OW: That's not my problem. Sucks for whoever I murder, though.
#6kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 10:03:21 PM
Faust_8 posted...
"Beliefs" about science? You don't have to believe anything about science. That's the entire point of it.

So if you're trying to prove that reflecting on certain facts can help you deal with stress...I don't see your point.

Let me quote you my favorite part.

"That modern secular individuals are prone to cling on to beliefs about science, in the same way that their ancestors turned to the gods," they write in their paper, "carries no judgment on the value of science as a method but simply highlights the human motivation to believe."
#7Faust_8Posted 6/7/2013 10:04:45 PM
You. Don't. Believe. Science.
---
Faust_8: You're one hallucination away from murder.
OW: That's not my problem. Sucks for whoever I murder, though.
#8kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 10:09:57 PM
Faust_8 posted...

The subject was not about "reflecting" on beliefs, it was about saying things like "Science is the only reliable path to knowledge."
#9kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 10:24:34 PM
Man see stars.

Man worship stars.

Man see graven image.

Man worship graven image.

Man see science.

Man worship science.

Man see other man not worshiping science.

NO! Science one true only way.

Science good. Other gods bad.

(I'm not knocking science, but I am knocking the men who have sacrificed proverbial goats to science.)
#10hamsandwich3141Posted 6/7/2013 10:32:45 PM
Faust_8 posted...

It says "beliefs about science", not "belief in science". You can have beliefs about science that are correct or incorrect.
---
She went after her kids with super love, they turned into drugs. - LastManStanding