This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has any Christian here read A Path Through Suffering?

#1darkmaian23Posted 6/9/2013 2:35:34 AM
The full title of the book is, "A Path Through Suffering: Discovering the Relationship Between God's Mercy and Our Pain" by Elisabeth Elliot. A pastor gave a friend of mine this book due to a recent and severe illness, but he hates it and finds it depressing. I agree with him after trying to read part of it, but as an atheist I'm not qualified to get him a different book.

I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a different, more uplifting book for my ailing friend. Thanks!
#2epictetus1216Posted 6/10/2013 12:53:31 PM
Why aren't you qualified, even though you're an atheist, to recommend a book your friend might find uplifting? I find that the Stoic philosophy is a great help in dealing with misfortune and things we can't control. My favorite book on the subject is "A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy" by William B. Irvine. It's helped me immensely in putting my mind right in facing life's hardships, giving me serenity where otherwise I might not have found any.
#3darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2013 1:20:23 PM
I'm not qualified because what my friend wants is comfort based on the word of God. He seems to want to feel that God is with him and is going to see him through his disease and that there is some reason for him getting cancer. Aside from being pretty depressing, the book I mentioned (which he was given by a pastor) seems to focus on God bring suffering to us for a reason not on him taking it away.

He needs hope for the future, and it needs to religious in nature. My friend isn't a hardcore Christian---before getting sick, he hardly ever mentioned God and never goes to church. But now he tries to inject religion into a lot of things hoping things will get better. He needs something hopeful, religious, a bit generic, and easy to read. My friend has difficult understanding things that aren't simple. Even if I could convince him to read the book you recommended, I'm confident that he wouldn't understand anything it was talking about.

I hope that clears things up a bit. For the record, thank you very much for the recommendation. I really like the book you recommended and will be buying it for myself. And perhaps it will give me some idea of how to better deal with my friend. ^_^
#4epictetus1216Posted 6/12/2013 9:19:46 AM
I hope the book helps you as much as it's helped me. As for your friend, if he doesn't have faith to begin with I don't see how reading a book is going to give him any. They say faith is a gift and I believe it. People who have it seem to live and breathe it like we do air. It's second nature to them, not something they've acquired through inspirational reading. Books they read just reflects their faith; it doesn't instill it.