This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Faith and Zen

#1epictetus1216Posted 6/12/2013 8:58:00 AM
I'm reading The Three Pillars of Zen which is my personal favorite on the subject. It has a genuineness that I don't pick up from other books. The part I'm reading has to do with zazen (zen meditation) and faith. It appears that faith in zazen is imperative for it to be successful.

This is what Dogen, the esteemed zen master believed. If you don't have faith that it will lead you to enlightenment it won't. I'm assuming this is so because only someone with strong enough faith will endure the commitment required for the payoff to occur. Dogen sat in zazen for eight long years before his enlightenment, and apparently it was only his strong faith that kept him going.

This is inspiring to me and makes me want to give sitting another go, which I haven't done for some time. Maybe I should excercise a little more faith instead of my customary demand for instant gratification that leaves me frustrated if I don't get immediate results.

Just some thoughts on the matter I felt like sharing. I know there are a few folk here who practice zen themselves, and I'm curious what degree faith plays in your practice, if any.
#2Hustle KongPosted 6/12/2013 10:07:49 AM
I enjoyed that book a good deal.

It's very difficult for me to express in words how faith affects me, but I definitely have felt an awakening of faith.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 6/12/2013 11:10:19 AM
I don't practice Zen, but I've been interested in trying it. Thanks for the book mention; I will pick it up next time I'm at the book store.
#4epictetus1216(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 4:48:03 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
I enjoyed that book a good deal.

It's very difficult for me to express in words how faith affects me, but I definitely have felt an awakening of faith.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I would call what I've recently experienced an awakening of faith as well, and an insight into the importance of it.
#5Hustle KongPosted 6/12/2013 4:50:24 PM
You seem to be doing a better job than meof articulating it. :)
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6epictetus1216(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 4:55:14 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
You seem to be doing a better job than meof articulating it. :)

Meh. You're just better at brevity than I am. :)