This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians, what makes you so confident that your bible is the right one?

#11bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2013 5:28:48 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
bsballa09 posted...
kozlo100 posted...
bsballa09 posted...
So many different translations can't change the meaning of something?

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at, but the point I'm making is that if you have five good translations and ten thousand crappy ones, those ten thousand don't make it any harder to tell that the five are good.

What defines what is good and bad?

-Good: An accurate reflection of what Paul and the other biblical writers wrote in ancient Greek(and Hebrew).

-Bad: Anything that doesnt accurately reflect what they wrote.

And who decides that?
---
Diet Coke does not taste like regular Coke. If they did, there wouldn't be a Diet Coke.
#12SirThinkALotPosted 6/14/2013 5:29:45 PM
bsballa09 posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
bsballa09 posted...
kozlo100 posted...
bsballa09 posted...
So many different translations can't change the meaning of something?

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at, but the point I'm making is that if you have five good translations and ten thousand crappy ones, those ten thousand don't make it any harder to tell that the five are good.

What defines what is good and bad?

-Good: An accurate reflection of what Paul and the other biblical writers wrote in ancient Greek(and Hebrew).

-Bad: Anything that doesnt accurately reflect what they wrote.

And who decides that?

People who can read ancient Greek and Hebrew?
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#13bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2013 5:38:59 PM

Obviously not everyone who can read them agree with each other if there are many different translations.
---
Diet Coke does not taste like regular Coke. If they did, there wouldn't be a Diet Coke.
#14SirThinkALotPosted 6/14/2013 5:41:49 PM
bsballa09 posted...

Obviously not everyone who can read them agree with each other if there are many different translations.

Yea. And?
---
#15bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2013 6:08:45 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
bsballa09 posted...

Yea. And?

So then I go back to my original question.
---
#16DarkContractorPosted 6/14/2013 6:10:18 PM
bsballa09 posted...

well, the challenge of Greek is also that there are no spaces. GreekSentencesAreWrittenLikeOneBigWord. Hell, iirc, don't quote me on this, but I don't think they have capital letters either. It's like trying to read /b/, lol. the common example of how this really ****s people is godisnowhere A Christian reads: God is now here whereas an atheist reads God is nowhere.

The difference in scholarly opinion isn't a criticism, though. It's instead what makes our translations as good as they are. Scholarly debate and a lack of consensus tells us that we are actually scrutinizing the texts. Like when the Gospel of Judas was published, it originally aired on a National Geographic special and pretty much no one outside of NGC really laid a hand on its translation; NGC was really hush hush about it in order to maximize profits. But sure enough, there were tons of criticisms of their translation, some still debated today, but some of them conceded by NGC itself that probably would have been weeded out had scholarly debate taken place.
---
http://counteringchristianity.blogspot.com/ - My blog.
#17Dathrowed1Posted 6/14/2013 7:35:51 PM
It doesn't matter as long as the translation is decent enough, I can use that bible to show my beliefs
---
sig
#18SirThinkALotPosted 6/15/2013 7:35:36 PM
bsballa09 posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
bsballa09 posted...

Yea. And?

So then I go back to my original question.

And I go back to my original answer....
---
#19CorporateKnightPosted 6/15/2013 8:11:22 PM
Technically speaking, the LXX is the correct one as it was translated by the Holy Spirit.
#20IamvegitoPosted 6/17/2013 4:57:44 PM
Is this directed at King James only people? I think that as long as we use the oldest/ most complete sources we can, and try our best to capture the spirit of the language in its cultural context, we can continue to produce better translations of all ancient texts. That's certainly never going to be a perfect endeavor, though.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."