This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is 263's thoughts on Megachurches?

#1EastsideslingerPosted 6/15/2013 9:16:51 PM
Delving into the separation of church & state led me to finding out more about the workings of mega churches and the fact that they look more like corporations then temples of spiritual worship and led me to this huffpost article that caught my interest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/skye-jethani/the-coming-megachurch-bub_b_1075999.html

The article in question is 2 years old but goes into the fact that most of the church leaders who run these churches are in the upwards of 50+ years old and that there is a possibility of a "mega church bubble" considering that younger ministers do no have the same interest in running a multi million dollar church.

Is the mega church model in decline? Do they seem genuine in the same sense as a little rinky dink church that may consist of meeting in people houses with folding chairs as opposed to multi-tiered stadium seating?
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#2Hustle KongPosted 6/15/2013 9:22:14 PM
While I see how they can be useful for some communities, I find them to be incredibly tacky.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3Eastsideslinger(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 9:26:50 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
While I see how they can be useful for some communities, I find them to be incredibly tacky.

I guess my main beef is the seeming focus on the opulence and grandeur of the building as if the building is meant to impress people into faith and all the pomp and ceremony associated with the rituals. Does God really care if you have satin cloths and pure silk robes and drinking the wine from a gem studded chalice made of pure gold?
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#4CorporateKnightPosted 6/15/2013 9:39:39 PM
Eastsideslinger posted...
Does God really care if you have satin cloths and pure silk robes and drinking the wine from a gem studded chalice made of pure gold?

Yes
#5Moorish_IdolPosted 6/15/2013 10:36:33 PM
I find them hypocritical, and not very representative of the man they are worshipping.
#6FlashOfLightPosted 6/15/2013 10:42:41 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
I find them hypocritical, and not very representative of the man they are worshipping.

This.

They're pretentious mass theaters run by people who have no clue about the faith they're professing, and con every person who is even more clueless about them to engage in a contrived show that just hypes up the personality, instead of letting people rely on God away from the megachurches' babysitting.
---
The internet - Tell THEM everything ;)
#7GBALoserPosted 6/16/2013 3:40:58 AM
FlashOfLight posted...
Moorish_Idol posted...

This.

They're pretentious mass theaters run by people who have no clue about the faith they're professing, and con every person who is even more clueless about them to engage in a contrived show that just hypes up the personality, instead of letting people rely on God away from the megachurches' babysitting.

Welp, Hell's officially frozen over as I absolutely agree with FoL on something.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#8the_hedonistPosted 6/16/2013 3:58:31 AM
I don't know if they're on the decline or not. Also, I grew up in a Southern Baptist mega church, which meant that there was very little opulence and ritual (which I am by no means opposed to).

But I am no fan of mega churches. It is my experience that mega churches are birthed when men and women set out to bring massive numbers into their church and research strategies to do so. In the process, the message of Christianity is typically watered down. It may not have been intentional and it may happen in subtle ways, but it certainly happens.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#9XoarWinsPosted 6/16/2013 4:36:23 AM
Lots of money, power and influence, little faith.
---
Thy Lord, thy God, of Bacon, has spoketh! http://vocaroo.com/i/s0QvbJ3ILT7F
#10JonWood007Posted 6/16/2013 3:27:33 PM
They seem largely hypocritical to me.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768